SAU Community

New to the car scene and first car is a R32 GTR

Hello everyone! I just got back from Iraq I spent 2 years there. I was deployed with as a soldier and after that I started working as a private contractor. Long story short due to the troop withdrawal I was able to come home and pick up this R32 GTR from RHDSpecialty. It is a 1994 R32 GTR in crystal white with a Nismo 320km/h cluster, Nismo gauge and a Kakimoto exhaust (I recently swapped to a Tomei Expreme Ti). I have been wanting a project car for the longest time but never had the funds and now after working 12 hours 7 days a week for 1 year in Iraq I was able to buy this legendary machine. I plan to clean up the engine bay and take care of the small rust that normally will come with this 26 year old car. Any inputs on body work and rust prevention will be greatly appreciated it!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome, 

That's a massive effort staying in Iraq for that long (I spent an 8months in Afghanistan years ago ) 

Looks pretty good at the moment. I don't have any experience with R32 bodywork but new suspension bushes and ball joints does make them a lot nicer to drive. 

26 minutes ago, PranK said:

Not much better than a white R32 GTR. Well done.

I'm envious at how much space you have to work on the car!

:welcome:

Yeah, the space belongs to my dad. He has a retirement home on 45 acres of land and this warehouse to myself. I get to bond with the car and bond with my dad lol.

31 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Welcome, 

That's a massive effort staying in Iraq for that long (I spent an 8months in Afghanistan years ago ) 

Looks pretty good at the moment. I don't have any experience with R32 bodywork but new suspension bushes and ball joints does make them a lot nicer to drive. 

I'll definitely keep note on that!

That's really tidy. Nice work. Treat it well and don't butcher it.

It looks like someone may have already done some work on the front suspension towers. That grey seam sealer around the tops is not original. Not saying it's a problem, just pointing it out.

• Like 1

Chassis rails / sills, strut towers (as @GTSBoy  has pointed out), spare wheel well and passenger foot well (heater core) are the areas that I am aware of.

But there can be others depending on how far north the car spent most of its life.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

That's really tidy. Nice work. Treat it well and don't butcher it.

It looks like someone may have already done some work on the front suspension towers. That grey seam sealer around the tops is not original. Not saying it's a problem, just pointing it out.

I was curious about the sealer also. all of the R32 I was looking at in the market did not have this so I'm curious also to see what was done when it all comes out.

Started to remove more things off the car. I spent a lot of time labeling all the connectors from the harness. No way in hell I was going to remember where every single connector plugs into. My dad also gave me this massive LED light for the warehouse. The warehouse that came with the retirement home he bought had poor lighting or did not work. Shines super bright and I was able to conduct work at night instead of racing until the sun came down. 

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Life got in the way and I was finally able to come back to the R32. Man this is my first time ever fooling around with an engine removal and I'm breaking my engine removal virginity with an RB26 and holy f*ck this has been a pain in the ass! There is almost no room to do anything once you get to the plenum. Don't get me started with the top two tranny bolts. I was struggling horribly when it came to disconnecting the trans from the engine. After doing a little more research I realized this had a pull type clutch which required the throw out bearing to be released. So instead of releasing the throw out bearing I just released the fork instead.

130852243_1860101984165982_7743502363854409434_n.png

Engine 1.jpg

Engine 2.jpg

Engine 3.jpg

Engine 4.jpg

Engine.jpg

• Like 1