SAU Community

Track semis question

PranK

10 hours ago, Kinkstaah said:

I think a regular 180/200 treadwear tyre is sufficient for a 330i. You can drive it around town or in Nasho without feeling you are wasting the tyres either.

Hankook RS4, 4 for the price of 3 atm.

Do it.

/thread

Yeah they look nice! 

Thanks about the treadwear, that was confusing me. 

8 hours ago, SilverECR33 said:

uhh bmw?. where is your skyline sir?

Touché.

4 hours ago, admS15 said:

Also Yokohama Ad08r are buy 3 get 1 free till the end of 0ctober

Nice, they look good.

Thanks for all the help in here guys, much appreciated. As a lot of these stretch my budget for a part time track tyre I'm just going to need to have a think about it and see what my local tyre joints can do with prices.

Another budget contender is Federal rsrr.

Just to simply things.

Yokohama A050, Hankook z221, nankang ar1, dunlop dz03, nitto nt01, toyo r888 etc. are proper r spec track only tyres. Some are road legal but you would only use them to drive to and from the track.

Yokohama Ad08r, Hankook rs3/4, nankang n2r, federal rsrr etc. are more street oriented motorsport tyres, not true r spec semi slicks.

Any of the above will serve your purpose well, the r spec will give you a fair bit more grip. Since you have spare wheels, i would be going with the cheapest r spec i could get my hands on.

There could be an advantage using the non r specs, if you don't end up doing as much track work as originally planned, they could always be put to use as street tyres.

Good luck with your deliberations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so, based on available funds and availability, I went with the Hankook RS4's. I know they're not a proper R compound and maybe I'll upgrade to that one day. The fronts were $170ea which was hard to beat and the rears came in the factory size of 255/40/17 which is apparently a little uncommon. 

Hopefully they are ok on my super slow, super body rolling E90. Not a lot will be asked of them over the course of the day. I'm also not going to be doing more than 2 or 3 track days per year I wouldn't think.

If they aren't great I'll look to upgrade when funds permit (yeah right!).

Thanks again guys.

On 26/10/2020 at 7:26 PM, niZmO_Man said:

You'll be happy with the RS-4 until you dial your car in and get some good speed out of it.

RS-3 in my full fat R32 GT-R did well, even managed a 1:02 around SMSP south with basic suspension upgrades, crappy brakes and driver (me).

She's a bog stock non turbo 330i, she aint quick :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, what can I say? I wish I'd done tyres to my old cars rather than other stuff first. I couldn't believe how well the car performed on the RS4's. They just kept holding up all day, I think I did 6 sessions and each session was just so good.

In the old days my car would give up after 2 or 3 sessions and even before giving up it wasn't great. The 330 just kept going and holding and not over/under steering (unless I was in too hot). Can't get over how good they are.

If R compound tyres are even better then by the time I learn how to drive again I'll have to upgrade. 

Was so good to be able to trust the tyres and brakes 100%. Neither let go. 

Awesome. 

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll be trying to do more track days in the future with the old girl.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

What times did you get @PranK?

Not great, but a start - 1:18.9 was my best. Sucked too as my car started missing on that lap (last of the day) and I cruised the straight. Could have gotten lower 1:18 if I could have stayed on the throttle.

My brother in law with his 130i (same car minus 100kg) managed a 1:16 so its definitely my driving.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, PranK said:

so its definitely my driving

Nah. A little from column A, a little from column B. That 100kg is worth time. Every other thing that could be different, from tyres to wheel alignment to happiness of the LH rear damper will chuck further confounding factors in. You might suck. He might suck just as much. Hard to tell.

I'm definitely under no illusions. I'm not great by any means and the little 330i was by far the slowest car in the paddock. I have massive amounts of body roll also. I'm hoping that by adding some sway bars before my next trip out the car will be much flatter around the corners. She's still my daily though so I need to make sure I keep it commutable. 

The important thing is you had fun. You may not know it yet but the fun may have been 99% of the fun you would have had in a much faster car.

Tyres and brakes that give up well before you even get going are NOT fun. Over heating is NOT fun. It sounds like you avoided those problems which is a great day in any book!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

The important thing is you had fun. You may not know it yet but the fun may have been 99% of the fun you would have had in a much faster car.

Tyres and brakes that give up well before you even get going are NOT fun. Over heating is NOT fun. It sounds like you avoided those problems which is a great day in any book!

Yeah totally agree. Had a blast and the car held up well.

I'm not all that keen to go faster, at least not yet. I'm more interested in my corner speed and stability.