SAU Community

Need some info before I buy.

GinD18

Hello from New Jersey! I'm looking to buy a 1992 Nissan skyline GTS-T Type M, i would like to know what i should look for before buying this car. there is a personal seller who is selling this car, and I am very interested in buying but I don't know what kind of maintenance I'll have to do to the car and if the car needs any kind of maintenance (if it hasn't already been done prior to selling) after I buy it. So I'm looking for any kind of information that you guys might have. im mainly looking for a maintenance schedule info for the car, as the car already has 85K miles on it. i'd like to know what i should prepare for, for future maintenance and what i should ask regarding prior maintenance. i plan on using this car for daily driving and use.

skyline.jpg

Firstly, it is ~30 years old, so it will not have 85k miles on it. It will be lucky if it is less than 185k miles.

Is it still the original RB20DET? If so, budget on an engine upgrade to something that can make it move. RB25DET Neo, VQ30DET, VH56DE, LS3. Anything.

If it is the original engine then everything rubber is suspect. Vacuum hoses, coolant hoses, intercooler connectors. Budget on replacing all those, plus the timing belt, water pump, front and rear seals.

The gearbox should be fine if it is not crunchy, but it will not tolerate significant upgrades in power for very long without wearing out the input shaft bearing. So if following advice to embiggen the motor, budget on adding a big box too. Ditto the brakes. Bigger motor = bigger brakes.

The suspension could be in any state at all. If all original, then most rubber bushes will be crook and need poly replacements or entire arm replacements (to obtain adjustability). The front upper control arms are shit on R32s and the only workable aftermarket substitute is by GK-Tech.

Those stays on the rear wing are stupid.

Otherwise, go for it. It is very similar to the car that I have owned for the last 20 years and have done the entire list of upgrades above, and more, to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome! 

I love R32 Gtst's being future proofed. @GTSBoy's post is awesome. Maintenance/Repair will be crucial and you need to do it before modifying as painful as that will seem. 

@GinD18create a thread in the relevant section if you have any q's, theres a lot of members who will be able to assist that way and your content helps others.

• Thanks 1