SAU Community

Need help on rb26 build!

So my rb26 has an issue where it ate up two valves, damaged piston and bore and damaged head chamber. Anyways I need to figure out what to do. I have a full set of darton sleeves and was thinking of using them and wanted to know what everyone’s thought is on running them. Also my head is Cnc ported and was thinking of welding chamber up and digitizing a clean chamber and milling it out at work. What’s your thoughts.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by ricardo.benin

Send head to head shop. It probably isn't as simple as "digitsing, welding up and copying". The broad shape of the chamber can probably be done like that but any damage around the valve seats probably can't be fixed that way, and it would need to go to the shop anyway. Might as well just skip the geek-fest fun part of it and get the whole lot done by someone who's done it before.

I like the sound of where you work! How did you bend valves, some sort of timing/timing belt issue?

Other than getting too large (ie if it was already 87mm), I would definitely bore the block out and reuse the current sleeves. Of course the liners can be replaced but that is a lot of precision work when a bore would do the job (noting, depending on access to equipment that may not be too expensive for you). The bores (when measured/machined correctly) are not a problem point on RBs

Re the head...normally you would get a fresh bare head because they aren't that expensive, even brand new, but again, if you have the tools and knowhow, welding and remachining may be an option. 

Appreciate it, the head was welded by one of the best aluminum welders is the states for head and block welding. And I think what happened is I must of got valve float or something along those lines. When I bought the car the seller said car is ready to make serious power which it wasn’t, had a rebuilt short block with tomei pistons and a Cnc ported head. and stock everything else, so not sure what was going on in the sellers head but it was my fault for taking his word. I bought mahle pistons, darton sleeves, oil pump drive kit to fix the oil gear, and carillos top of the line rods with there super rod bolts that are supposed to be better than arp. Still not sure on what springs and retainers to run. I’m not sure if I want to run a dual springs because of the added seat pressure and valve train wear.