SAU Community

identify a cross-member

unfortunately not in picture there is a flattish cross member just forward of this picture (just above the top of it), the bottom of the radiator is mounted to it. From the nose of the car it is the first solid cross member one can see

Mine is dented I suspect from some id**t using a trolley jack.

What is the name or part number of this cross member so I can look it up?

thanks

940ADE1B-396F-4CE2-BB15-C663446459DA.jpeg

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

The lower rail can probably be quite satisfactorily straightened in situ.

yeah it could be bent back if its even lifted but the visible underside denting and marks are bothering me. I am at the stage of identifying and replacing non oem bolts and plastic trim fasteners, so this is sort of a blot.

52 minutes ago, phelbas said:

Ah cool, Wasn't aware they can do that kind of work. Of course they can if they can remove hail damage!

Well, actually, removing hail damage is probably a bit different. Depending on how badly dented/bent the lower rail is, it might be straightenable by spot welding on rivets and pulling on them with a slide hammer, and other more direct means of applying force. But if it's quite bad, the answer would probably be to slice out the bottom steel work, re-make it out of sheet with the same features in it (folds/ribs/pressings/etc for strength, holes for drainage, screw holes for fitting the undertray and so on) and just welding it back in. Classic body building metal work. Same as they would do for badly dildo'd chassis rails.