SAU Community

RB25 NEO KNOCKING/TICKING NOISE

Hello i recently purchased this vehicle with a rb25det neo (4wd motor with gtr pull type clutch)that has a knocking/ticking sound. I got it at a good price and drove it home 6hours.

The old owner who was an elderly person said the car sat for 3 years and was only started once in a blue moon, during that time it was said the sound occurred. 

The best way i can describe it is when you start the car for the first time in the day there is a louder knocking sound which then quitens slightly after 2 seconds and continues making that knock noise no matter the engine temperature. It also doesnt seem to change under load and only gets faster with revs. It sound like it is comeing from the rear of motor.

Also when turning the engine over by hand it gets to a point where it is hard to turn over. I h

ave added new hpr 10 oil and mbl8 to no change. 

I have it booked in somewhere but it is hard to find a place what wants to try diagnose it without stripping down the engine. I just cant do that right now.

Any answers and advice appreciated.

Thanks 

Cameron

Edited by TOKKŌ TAI
Grammar errors and video

Don't buy f**ked car if you can't identify the fault and fix it yourself. At the very least you need to have an idea of the cost of fixing it.

You wasted money on the oil change, so that was a bad start.

What did tthink was wrong with iI when you bought it?

I strongly doubt the oil is clean. if you drop it there will be sparkles of copper all through the bottom of the drain tray.

I've very confident the bottom end needs a rebuild to replace the spun big end bearing, measure for any other damage (eg rod), cleaned thoroughly and reassembled

2 hours ago, TOKKŌ TAI said:

Lifters i thought drove it 1000ks home.

Noise hasnt changed oil is clean

Lifters will be more of a tap tap noise, doesn't have as much of a "chunky" tap if you get me. That's bottom end knock on your engine 100%. As Duncan is saying, pull the oil pan off it will look like there's glitter sprinkled in there, check the drain plug too. Ask me how I know...(not on an RB though).

Edited by trel

Hi everyone i dropped the oil i couldnt see any copper sparkles or anything in the drain tray but i tapped the oil filter and some sort of fine white almost cloudy specs where in the comminng out of the filter maybe thsts normal i dont know

On 18/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, TOKKŌ TAI said:

I got it at a good price

Yep, because it needs a rebuild.

On 18/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, TOKKŌ TAI said:

drove it home 6hours.

16 hours ago, TOKKŌ TAI said:

drove it 1000ks home

Really ?!

• Haha 1