SAU Community

Daily Driving the billet engine

kaboobie

Hi Folks,

I'm in the market to buy a wet block billet RB28/RB32 aluminum engine and wants to use it daily in my R34.  I have heard that the block being very dense, accumulate heat and doesn't dissipate heat very well. I hear some engine crack liners and have leaking head gaskets from heat soak. I would like to know if there is any truth to this. Coming from a hot country (Thailand) and have terrible traffic, I can't risk the issue of overheat when idling.  I would like to hear from owners that use their billet block in town daily doing normal stuff as well as any other issues that new buyer should be aware of when driving the car.

Thanks

Tobey

Hi mate,

I've heard very similar results to what you have mentioned. Unfortunately, the big workshops that read such posts, and the guys that run them, dont have the f**king balls to admit or shed any light around this at all. THis is the exact reason I didnt go billet. Yes, I've asked some big workshops on fb, to which they ignore. Absolute f**king dream boats they are.

Tbh this is kind of also true of any big HP build. People's opinions of "Daily" differ greatly, as well as "tracking it all the time and it never breaks".

They probably don't have the data, as they don't have people that really daily a 800kw R34 GTR even though they say they "daily it all the time" which may mean the odd cruise every 2 months.

Ultimately I say the old adage is true. Build the car for the scenario you want to be using it in the most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinkstaah said:

Tbh this is kind of also true of any big HP build. People's opinions of "Daily" differ greatly, as well as "tracking it all the time and it never breaks".

They probably don't have the data, as they don't have people that really daily a 800kw R34 GTR even though they say they "daily it all the time" which may mean the odd cruise every 2 months.

Ultimately I say the old adage is true. Build the car for the scenario you want to be using it in the most.

No, I've been told several times that billet blocks are a race only block and not suitable for road use. When asking specifics, i get given the cold shoulder.

Plus there are a few big boys running billet blocks, but information is kept hush hush, however they are quick to recommend with their sales pitches.

• Like 3

I think once you are willing to spend billet block money on an RB in a Skyline, you are way the f**k into "why bother with an RB?" territory. Spend half the money and put an AMG V12 in it or something. Surely there can't be enough drug money going around to justify billet blocks for street Skylines.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Predator1 said:

No, I've been told several times that billet blocks are a race only block and not suitable for road use. When asking specifics, i get given the cold shoulder.

Plus there are a few big boys running billet blocks, but information is kept hush hush, however they are quick to recommend with their sales pitches.

Yeah I got a similar experience.  The shop have not addressed the issue and tend to ignore the issue totally by not having any evidence supporting the claim.

There are a few cars out there that has a billet engine and DD the car but it all disappeared and never heard from again for some reason....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BK said:

I must have missed it, but why do you want or need a billet block ?

I know billet blocks are good for rigidity when making massive power, but I was asking specifically the OP why he feels he needs / wants a billet block. Does he want 2000hp or just bragging rights ? Plenty of big power RBs not using them and new RB26 blocks are pretty affordable.

18 minutes ago, BK said:

Also why so many sequential boxes are going into street car non motorsport GTRs ?

To be fair, if I was awash with cash from my retail disco-bikkie sales network, I'd be wanting a sequential in my 32. Although, that would prevent me from doing my usual 1 - 3 - 5 or 2 - 4 - 5 traffic shifts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

To be fair, if I was awash with cash from my retail disco-bikkie sales network, I'd be wanting a sequential in my 32. Although, that would prevent me from doing my usual 1 - 3 - 5 or 2 - 4 - 5 traffic shifts.

Thats why H pattern dogs exist. Not being able to skip gears, go straight to neutral or select reverse quickly shits me to tears in a street car.

40 minutes ago, BK said:

Thats why H pattern dogs exist. Not being able to skip gears, go straight to neutral or select reverse quickly shits me to tears in a street car.

It’s not a easy as you think. Muscle memory takes over your shifts. Have done the 1-2-1 twice in just over a year I have had the box in. 

40 minutes ago, BK said:

It's a bit of a different thing though. H pattern dog box because you need something strong enough to handle monster torque. Sequential because you want snick-snick gearchanges (along with possibly the same strength as an H pattern dog box). The snick-snick is cool. Just not without cost (both $ and utility).

2 hours ago, WR33KD said:

It’s not a easy as you think. Muscle memory takes over your shifts. Have done the 1-2-1 twice in just over a year I have had the box in. 

Yep they definitely take some learning. Sounds like you need lots more practice on rev matching on the downshift, which is definitely the hardest part. I have had H pattern dog boxes for well over 10 years mate so I know their quirks and how to use them (most of the time 😂)

2 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

It's a bit of a different thing though. H pattern dog box because you need something strong enough to handle monster torque. Sequential because you want snick-snick gearchanges (along with possibly the same strength as an H pattern dog box). The snick-snick is cool. Just not without cost (both $ and utility).

That's right. Sequentials are all about tenths in motorsport, which is why they exist. Circuit, drag and rally / off road you can't beat them.

36 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

I went sequential because even with dog gears, i'd be limited to the stock casing, as opposed to a billet casing, which wouldn't twist as much(if any).

2 hours ago, BK said:

Also why so many sequential boxes are going into street car non motorsport GTRs ?

What’s wrong with it?

If you want a 6 speed box (5 speeds suck), that cops the grunt what do you put in? A Getrag is getting up there in $$ now. Going to reverse is hardly a big deal. If you’re going to go to reverse then you’d be in 1st. Push the lever up to neutral and push it up again. Hardly a big deal.

• Like 2