SAU Community

Daily Driving the billet engine

kaboobie

6 minutes ago, Stixbnr32 said:

On another note PRP Aus are developing a new block - i think aimed at more street cars as cast RB blocks are weak and getting harder to find.

Unsure if its just a 30 block or a 26.

One to keep an eye on.

Hopefully both, as a truly better cast block with thicker cylinder walls would be great, if the price is right.

But as mentioned new RB26 are still readily available new and cheap, only RB30 is becoming scarce.

1 hour ago, PLYNX said:

Are you gonna yell at me if I mention the Europeans use PS as a measurement of engine power as well ? ? ?

PS is literally (enough) the initials of horse power in German. But it is only the automotive standards organisations that cling to PS (and all the French and Italian equivalents) in reporting automotive engine power. You can bet you're last Pfennig that the German engineers are all thinking in Watts and the SI multiples thereof. They just convert to PS as the document goes out the door.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stixbnr32 said:

On another note PRP Aus are developing a new block - i think aimed at more street cars as cast RB blocks are weak and getting harder to find.

Unsure if its just a 30 block or a 26.

One to keep an eye on.

They’ve been taking about this for well over a year now so I’m not holding my breath on it actually happening 

2 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Why do Australians love to talk in HP when for everything else we use the metric system?

Remember when NASA lost a spaceship because some fk tards at Lockheed Martin decided to send calculations in imperial shit?

Space vacuum = 0 kPA
Earth = 100 kPA
Sick RB = 400kPA

It's like when American morons tell you water boils at 212 degrees, just sound so stupid, water freezes at 0 degrees C and boils at 100 degrees C - so logical.

HP is like measuring your dick from your arsehole.

I think people just use whatever they learned first, its like a language. I'm getting better at thinking in kw, but I generally still have to convert it to horsepower in my head unless its a super common number - ie I know 300kw well. Tell me an engine makes 761kw though and I'll do the sums before pulling my dick out. 

Similar to engine builders and machinist doing everything imperial, I can't think in thou or fractions. Got no idea what 5/8 is etc. But every machinist I know always talks imperial, I gotta convert all of that shit to metric before I can participate in that conversation and then they convert my metric lingo back to imperial haha. Kind of makes sense though because its much quicker to say 1 thou than to say 0.0254mm. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I think people just use whatever they learned first, its like a language. I'm getting better at thinking in kw, but I generally still have to convert it to horsepower in my head unless its a super common number - ie I know 300kw well. Tell me an engine makes 761kw though and I'll do the sums before pulling my dick out. 

Similar to engine builders and machinist doing everything imperial, I can't think in thou or fractions. Got no idea what 5/8 is etc. But every machinist I know always talks imperial, I gotta convert all of that shit to metric before I can participate in that conversation and then they convert my metric lingo back to imperial haha. Kind of makes sense though because its much quicker to say 1 thou than to say 0.0254mm. 

Yup ! I grew up in a era where we had to learn both and then had both Aussie and European cars so I got both set of metric and imperial spanners and sockets.

Along with having European heritage speaking three languages as well . . . . . . no wonder my brain is mush most of the time.

As a rule when some says 300kw or 300hp I automatically add or subtract 34% as required for a ball park figure

3 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Why do Australians love to talk in HP when for everything else we use the metric system?

Remember when NASA lost a spaceship because some fk tards at Lockheed Martin decided to send calculations in imperial shit?

Space vacuum = 0 kPA
Earth = 100 kPA
Sick RB = 400kPA

It's like when American morons tell you water boils at 212 degrees, just sound so stupid, water freezes at 0 degrees C and boils at 100 degrees C - so logical.

HP is like measuring your dick from your arsehole.

1000 is a nice round number. Problem is everyone is chasing 1000kw now..

• Haha 1

The big issue I have is when someone says "HP" I have no idea whether they mean at the engine, at the hubs, at the tyre/rollers or otherwise. And often when I try to find out, the response is "what do you mean?"

But the beauty of the conversion between HP and kW is that it is 3/4 or 4/3, depending on which way you're going, which is dead easy. And if you're willing to accept a standard 25% roller dyno loss, there's another 3/4 or 4/3 straight up. So in that situation (and that situation only!) 150HP at the tyre is very close to 150kw at the engine.

21 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

The big issue I have is when someone says "HP" I have no idea whether they mean at the engine, at the hubs, at the tyre/rollers or otherwise. And often when I try to find out, the response is "what do you mean?"

But the beauty of the conversion between HP and kW is that it is 3/4 or 4/3, depending on which way you're going, which is dead easy. And if you're willing to accept a standard 25% roller dyno loss, there's another 3/4 or 4/3 straight up. So in that situation (and that situation only!) 150HP at the tyre is very close to 150kw at the engine.

Its all relative. The right question to ask is what mph does it trap.

That will tell you if your making power or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stixbnr32 said:

Yeh Herman made a comment on a facebook saying they will be ready next year.

Interesting to see how good they are as i have already cracked on block in my life.

Are they ever getting around to the double VCAM setup they claimed to be working on?