SAU Community

How to disassemble RB26 throttle linkage?

Referring to throttle bodies, they are not actually supposed to be taken apart, that's why there is nothing in the manual and you can't buy the individual seals and bearing parts separately from Nissan.

Having said that I have disassembled them before and put a Reimax throttle refresh kit through them, which includes shaft seals and spring locators. Replaced all the bearings and return Springs too.

Basically with the butterfly's removed the shafts have to be removed with a press. Unless there is actually something wrong with them I would advise you against doing it.

• Like 1

Do you mean the bit that bolts on top of the manifold or the butterfly sections down at each runner?

If its the bit on top I've got one dismantled at the moment.  Of you haven't heard from me in a few days remind me and I'll take some pics. 

5 hours ago, Shoota_77 said:

Do you mean the bit that bolts on top of the manifold or the butterfly sections down at each runner?

If its the bit on top I've got one dismantled at the moment.  Of you haven't heard from me in a few days remind me and I'll take some pics. 

The one on top of the manifold! There's no way i'm taking apart the actual throttle bodies.

5 hours ago, cachorro said:

The one on top of the manifold! There's no way i'm taking apart the actual throttle bodies.

Ok cool. It is a bit tricky but doable. You need to be very careful with the plastic washers each side of the spring as they get very brittle with age. I'll get some photos over the weekend. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/20 at 3:29 AM, Shoota_77 said:

Ok cool. It is a bit tricky but doable. You need to be very careful with the plastic washers each side of the spring as they get very brittle with age. I'll get some photos over the weekend. 

How did this go guys I’m trying to do it now haha.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 3:30 PM, BK said:

Referring to throttle bodies, they are not actually supposed to be taken apart, that's why there is nothing in the manual and you can't buy the individual seals and bearing parts separately from Nissan.

Having said that I have disassembled them before and put a Reimax throttle refresh kit through them, which includes shaft seals and spring locators. Replaced all the bearings and return Springs too.

Basically with the butterfly's removed the shafts have to be removed with a press. Unless there is actually something wrong with them I would advise you against doing it.

Any advice for how to fix an ITB that has had its full close stopper slip? My cylinder 5/6 ITB did this and there's basically no way for me to adjust the ITB linkages properly. Really dreading pulling the engine all apart again to fix this.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:01 PM, Kinkstaah said:

I wanted to say something along the lines of "That could have gone SOOOOOOOOOOOO much worse" but you never know how people react on the internet.

I once found a set of pliers in my airbox I had lost for 18 months.

Yeah, I'm just glad my stupidity didn't require me to tear apart my entire intake manifold again. I checked every cylinder after that up to the intake valves to see if any debris had made it into the engine but I didn't see any signs of issues. Took it for a test drive and the car seems to run properly now. Idles properly too, before I could tell the ECU couldn't hit the idle target so it just had the AAC valve perpetually closed in an attempt to hold it around 1050. Now it idles at 950 rpm with about 33% AAC duty cycle.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:06 PM, joshuaho96 said:

Yet another bump because I can't edit my posts. Turns out I'm a huge idiot that left a paper towel in there:

The boost rag strikes again.

<Hansel>

My uncle was driving his 2004 TD42 Patrol up a hill. Oil pressure light came on, so he shut it down, got it towed home. Diagnosis revealed few if any clues, so the motor came out and came apart. First, but unrealised at the time, clue was that the oil smelled a bit weird. Sump was full of sheets of paint. WTF?

He's a completely anal OCD type. Has all his washers sorted into micron thickness bins - that sort of OCD. So, he was able to back trace what he'd done. He changes brake fluid every 6 months (as I said, anal OCD type). He therefore had a small quantity of old brake fluid in a 5L engine oil container. When doing the oil change on the Patrol, immediately prior to the trip that lead to the engine death going up hill, he shook the various oil containers and noted one with a little oil in it - which duly got put in the engine before opening a freshy.

Turns out that hot brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper. Took the paint off the inside of the sump and rocker cover in sheets, which plugged the tiny little oil pickup (and would have plugged a huge pickup anyway) and killed the motor. Wrecked a few bearings, so it was rebuild time.

After reassembly and reinstall, during which time every conceivable orifice was plugged with a dedicated plastic/rubber cap/plug or a rag (remember, anal OCD) he got it started but it simply would not rev. All sorts of panic ensued wrt pinched injector lines, damaged injector pump drives, etc etc.

Turns out that the turbo was installed while the engine was upside down, or somesuch arrangement were the secret boost rag that was blocking the turbo outlet wasn't visible, and survived the anal/OCD/surgeon checklist count of implements inside the patient during reassembly.

Boost rag will always get you, even when you are a complete nutcase. He must be losing his touch, as that is 2 terrible mistakes in 1 episode.

</Hansel>

• Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 6:26 PM, GTSBoy said:

The boost rag strikes again.

<Hansel>

My uncle was driving his 2004 TD42 Patrol up a hill. Oil pressure light came on, so he shut it down, got it towed home. Diagnosis revealed few if any clues, so the motor came out and came apart. First, but unrealised at the time, clue was that the oil smelled a bit weird. Sump was full of sheets of paint. WTF?

He's a completely anal OCD type. Has all his washers sorted into micron thickness bins - that sort of OCD. So, he was able to back trace what he'd done. He changes brake fluid every 6 months (as I said, anal OCD type). He therefore had a small quantity of old brake fluid in a 5L engine oil container. When doing the oil change on the Patrol, immediately prior to the trip that lead to the engine death going up hill, he shook the various oil containers and noted one with a little oil in it - which duly got put in the engine before opening a freshy.

Turns out that hot brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper. Took the paint off the inside of the sump and rocker cover in sheets, which plugged the tiny little oil pickup (and would have plugged a huge pickup anyway) and killed the motor. Wrecked a few bearings, so it was rebuild time.

After reassembly and reinstall, during which time every conceivable orifice was plugged with a dedicated plastic/rubber cap/plug or a rag (remember, anal OCD) he got it started but it simply would not rev. All sorts of panic ensued wrt pinched injector lines, damaged injector pump drives, etc etc.

Turns out that the turbo was installed while the engine was upside down, or somesuch arrangement were the secret boost rag that was blocking the turbo outlet wasn't visible, and survived the anal/OCD/surgeon checklist count of implements inside the patient during reassembly.

Boost rag will always get you, even when you are a complete nutcase. He must be losing his touch, as that is 2 terrible mistakes in 1 episode.

</Hansel>

I would've just sold the car and called it a day at that point.