SAU Community

Weighted fin on OEM wiper arm

IM-32-FK

15 minutes ago, blind_elk said:

Its an aerofoil for your wiper. Holds the blade onto the glass at speed. (passenger doesn't need to see where you are going, so LHS doesn't have one!)

But the driver needs to see out the passenger side too! I might buy another one since they are the same length anyway

12 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Or.... you could just go straight for the good ones.

BOSCH-AEROTWIN-WIPER-BLADE-KIT-for-NISSAN-SKYLINE-GTR-BNR32-GTST-R32

I’ve actually got these on my car right now but I’m trying OEM everything, I even bought all the warning/info stickers that I was missing like SRS airbag and ignition timing sticker 

42 minutes ago, Duncan said:

what makes them good? good wipers are relevant to my interest

I bought Tridon or whatever brand equivalents for my Liberty, they wore out to shit after 6 months max.

Bosch aerotwin, same price (around $30 each), lasted well over 3.5 years still wipes like new.

My car sat outside the whole time.

I always recommend Bosch AeroTwin

15 minutes ago, BK said:

Maybe all. But specifically the Bosch patent for theirs is a "wind deflector", for holding blade against windshield.

You used to be able to buy these as plastic clip on additions for standard arms about 30 years ago, then (or possibly before) they started turning up on OEM arms as little deflectors to increase the normal force of the wiper blade on the glass. Intended to stop chatter. This was all with old style conventional multi-element spring type wiper bodies. The deflectors are purely aerodynamic devices for producing force. Not for snow, not for looks (because they look like shit because they make the wiper appear bigger).

The new Bosch aerotwin style is a completely better mechanism for getting the wiper to press onto the glass and has the "aero" part baked into the shape of the whole blade body.