SAU Community

Duty/taxes for car parts

Jairn01

Could anyone please shed some light on the import tax/fees when bringing in car parts to the country (AUS) 

looking to buy a GTT 5 speed through NENGUN in the next few weeks, but their website doesn’t offer any specific detail in regards to import fees. 
as this is my first time purchasing car parts $1000+ Overseas I’m abit in the dark.

any insight would be great 👍 

It will cost you at least 20 - 30% more.

10% GST

10% import duty

Govt. Levy and any other crap they can think of. RHDjapan and Nengun this is definitely applicable to over $1000+. For example my latest RHD order with DHL was $2451 shipped. To release it was another $441 through customs.

One thing I will say though is for genuine parts you can't beat Amayama. Their prices shipped include all import duty and taxes, which most people overlook.

Amayama is a touch over 4k landed.

Nengung is around 3400 plus gst/import tax. Will probably work out around the same.

Just jap has them listed at $3600 and would have to be ordered in.

Where abouts are you located?

I have one here in Melbourne. New in box. It's been sitting in my shed for the last 12 months as a spare. I am considering selling my car,  so (may) consider selling the box. You're welcome to hit me up when you're going to order. If i decide to sell at least you won't have to wait.

1 hour ago, Shyboy said:

I bought clutch through RHD couple of years ago close to $2k and wasn’t charged anything ,can’t remember if they asked me if I wanted to record a lower price or not.

I was waiting for a response like this...

I have been buying parts from places like this overseas for over 20 years. This is not the norm and RHDjapan, Perfect Run or Nengun will absolutely not change the declared price - You were just lucky.

What I have noticed is it can sometimes be dependant on the shipping service. EMS is the only one that seemed to get through no taxes probably about 60% - 70% of the time for me. This is not an option at the moment due to Covid19, EMS services are suspended to Australia.

DHL, UPS, FedEx and other international courier services will never let you get away with it. You will always need to pay to get your stuff out of customs if the declaration value is over $1000au.

1 hour ago, admS15 said:

Nengung is around 3400 plus gst/import tax. Will probably work out around the same

Possibly, but I'm guessing still over $4k. With the prices mentioned, I would be going with Just Jap for a new one. Anything that is large and/or expensive that is already available in Australia is generally better off being sourced through Australian sources, as their is no hidden costs or surprises.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, admS15 said:

I have one here in Melbourne. New in box. It's been sitting in my shed for the last 12 months as a spare. I am considering selling my car,  so (may) consider selling the box. You're welcome to hit me up when you're going to order. If i decide to sell at least you won't have to wait.

Keep me in mind. I'm continually tempted to buy one and if you don't want yours.....