SAU Community

Importing R35 GTR

foibles

Is it possible to import an R35 Gtr from Japan now? 

I'm aware some of the better known importers have made reference to this as being possible, but I see no official mention of this anywhere. Furthermore, I don't see a Raws listed on the dotars website who could comply an r35. 

There are also none for sale on carsales, but I doubt this is simply because there is insufficient price difference between Japan and Australia. I'd think it supports the theory that these still aren't eligible for import yet. 

Given I've now missed out on a shmick r33 gtr vspec 3 which would have set me back 90k, and then an r34 gtr v which was on the wrong side of 280k.... It seems ludicrous that I'd continue to look at cars in that price range before considering the newer, better r35 gtr. 

Cheers 

Jez 

Thanks all. 

SEVS eligibility is one thing.... But an accredited RAWS that has submitted the evidence pack, been approved and now has plates available is probably another. 

Because the dotars 'search for a raws' still has zero entries for the R35 gtr. 

http://raws.infrastructure.gov.au/rawswebpublic/RAWPubSearch.asp#results

And the fact that I never heard of a single compliance workshop that does these cars... Makes me think some import brokers are perhaps a bit 'ahead of the curve' 

(I'm sure someone would be welcome to buy and provide the test vehicle for the evidence pack... But I'm too consumed by other things to want to do that). 

My guess is that the lack of price differential between jdm and adm r35 gtr is what has deterred compliance shops from pursuing the R35 gtr. After all, not only do you have the snafu instrumentation issue to deal with (all in Japanese) but the lack of service history, the inability to see the car, yadda yadda yadda.... I guess you'd want a 15k discount on the local product in order to want to buy the jdm derivative. And as Joshua points out, only being able to get the earliest model is a further drawback. 

Oh well...... Back to the drawing board....