SAU Community

Air Conditioning (AC) Gas what type?

R32 GTST - I'm trying to get my AC regassed - I have just been asked if it is a R12 or R134a system cannot see any stickers and would assume based on 1990 model that the R12 would not be the environmentally friendly gas.... any ideas.. or who can do gas in Sydney

As Rusty said - it was originally R12. If it hasn't been converted to R134a, then that's what it will be. But if it has been converted to R134a, the fridge mechanic will be able to tell, because you have to put the right valve converters on the Schaeders and you MUST by law put stickers on in the engine bay advising the change.

Double checked for stickers - cannot see anything so I'll assume its R12... From what I can tell I'll need a new compressor plus many other bits to convert to R134a and a quick search looks at about $2.5K for a compressor - based on that - I'll keep the windows down .. thanks all.

21 minutes ago, Strexx said:

From what I can tell I'll need a new compressor plus many other bits to convert to R134a

Not necessarily, if your compressor is in good nick, it will work with R134A but it will be working harder. Then you need to change all O-rings to Green type, R134A port adapters, R134A high and low pressure switches,R134A accumulator dryer, New orifice tube, R134A compatible hoses.