SAU Community

info about the gts4 awd and suspension system

thirteeen

hey guys, i´m new to his forum here.

i got my hands on a very cheap 1994 r33 gts4 from russia.
it started its life as a automatic transmission rb25de model that is now converted to a r33 gtr box and a stagea awd rb25det engine.
condition is very bad but i decided to give her a chance and bring her back on (german) roads.

i need some information about the gts4 models. whats the difference to gtst models? like suspenion, brakes, etc?
whats the difference to the gtr awd system? is it permanent? or is it as easy as just pull a fuse and you have a 2wd car?
what about coilovers? do oyu have to use gtr coils in the front and back?

thankyou guys!

kai

tried already. i found the "interchangable coilovers" thread and they say that the gtr coils will fit the gts4.

but i cant find anything specific for the awd system. is it permanent, is it a attessa, is it ecu controlled, 
which driveshafts, knuckles, diff ratios, etc.

The attessa system is the same across all the 4wd models in the series. so electronically controlled centre torque split from 0-50% FWD depending on throttle position, lat and long Gs. You can't safely pull the fuse for 2wd as there is always some preload on the transfer case in 33 series, you need to remove the front driveshaft if you need 2wd

nice, thank you! 

theres a myserious switch in the car, i think that this is the way the previous owner tried to 2wd the car.
but as you say, i read much about 5% torque is alwas at the front wheels. 

the front suspension seems to be the same as the gtr models. it the back different gts/gtst/gtr?

• 1 month later...

Front suspension is the same style as GTR.

Rear is not the same, you need to see what rear hubs you have, fork mount or pin type. IIRC R32 had the fork type, but R33 and R34 have pin type on the rear, the same as other non-turbo models.

I swapped fork type (aluminium) rear hubs into my ENR34 from a GTT, so I could use GTR type suspension front and rear, now have MCA Comfort coilovers.

Also - you want to put swaybars from GTR into your GT Four also, they don’t even come with a rear one from factory.

Edited by dr phil

• 4 weeks later...

R34 aluminum front lower control arms are cheaply available on Yahoo Auctions, as well. No adjustability, but they're lightweight.

The front knuckles on all GTRs are aluminum, where yours are iron like the Stagea and Laurel. They can be swapped for either BCNR33 or BNR34 knuckles, but I would imagine you'd need the uprights, as well. I can't confirm this yet(my iron knuckles and ENR34 uprights are still in the car, and my BNR34 knuckles are being used to mock up brake upgrades), but there are part number differences. The kingpins are the same, so maybe just a height difference in the shock mount. Again, I can't confirm, so don't quote me. Just different part numbers. Plan to swap the assembly on either side if you go this route.

If you can't find ER34 (turbo only) or BNR34 rear aluminum knuckles, then plenty of older Skylines, as well as Z32s (and if you have an Australian Q45 equivalent) have aluminum rear knuckles, too, only with a smaller diameter rear lower shock mount. BNR34 rear shocks still seem to fit it fine, though. If you source these from a model with larger rear hubs/bearings, you can just swap yours onto them.

For Black Friday deals, I bought Whiteline front and rear sway bars for 25% off, so maybe wait another 8-9 months for those if you can. Or OEM GTR sway bars are dirt cheap on Yahoo Auctions.