SAU Community

Head Bolt Access

Tobz

Hey!

So I've been swapping my head bolts to arp2000 studs all has been going great till I got to the front of the engine. For noting I am doing this with the cams in the engine and want to confirm there isn't some  magical trick to do this without removing the cams.

Basically at the front of the engine the gap between the cams and the head is too small to fit a 5/8inch socket. The old head Bolt removed fine, the new stud went in fine, washer and nut all fine. Just can't get the socket in. Just wondering if anyone has any hints or tips, or if I just need to bite the bullet and remove the cam?

Cheers for the help

Toby

20210102_124056.jpg

20210102_124055.jpg

20210102_124141.jpg

Damn thing, need to make another, needed it for the four corners. Got all 4 to 60ft pound, them on the final 90ft pound torque it snapped on the second one. So need to make another for the final 2 bolts

20210102_161258.jpg

Edited by Tobz
  • Like 1

I had the same issue, but couldn't get to any of the nuts. Ground the crap out of the socket, luckily mine didn't break.Then bought a cpl of superslim sparkplug sockets; they only fitted on the middle studs - still wounldn't fit at either end, very tight fit alright...the ground-down socket barely fits and only fits in one position. Thats with tomei cams.

With the standard cams I and no issues using a 3/8inch 5/8th socket as they are pretty slim. And then needed to ground down the socket for the corners... Hopefully I can finish the last two tmrw with just one more socket :)

but pretty happy to have it almost done!!!

• Like 1

if you don't have some cut up twisted, grinded, or bent wrenches and sockets collecting in your shop your car either runs really good or you have a mechanic lol. Most my wrenches end up grinded or bent up in some way along the line to fit just right in wierd places on weird skyline jobs. hope the job goes well mate get that boost cranked up mate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

if you don't have some cut up twisted, grinded, or bent wrenches and sockets collecting in your shop your car either runs really good or you have a mechanic lol. Most my wrenches end up grinded or bent up in some way along the line to fit just right in wierd places on weird skyline jobs. hope the job goes well mate get that boost cranked up mate.

Got it all done! i have to say i was super worried about snapping a stud or bolt in the days leading up to it, as usually its easy enough to remove and either retap or ignore completely. But with this if anything went wrong it meant taking the head off at a minimum. 

Anyway first two I did i felt like I was undertaking open heart surgery. Torquing the bolts seems unnatural to put so much torque on such a small nut. But after the first two i wasn't worried at all and got into a good little rhythm.

Then i got to the corners, wasnt too worried, came here for help, got some awesome advice, continued the job and got it done with no issues. Overall was a fairly simple job!

Super happy its done though, also really happy i invested in a good quality digital torque wrench last year, really makes a huge difference!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You skip a few heart beats when it makes these creaking noises too haha

I almost had a heart attack with i snapped the shaved down socket on the back of the head....  then i remembered it was more likely to be the dodgy socket i created than the head bolt...  was so relieved when i saw the socket snapped!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1