SAU Community

ATF in my rb26 front diff

hey guys i am heading to the machine shop with my motor i bought to build for 800hp tomorow. So i figured id finish the tear down real quick as i already have the head off. the front left axle boot was still in the front diff so i figured id start there. grabbed my special tool i made to hit it out and 3 wacks later it popped out as it should. i was greeted with a bunch of red fluid pouring out.... i was really expecting to see a normal colour gear oil come out and when i saw what i swear is atf i almost shit myself. the diff gears etc look fine. my question is has anyone ever seen a red gear oil before? i pulled the filler plug and sure enough its full of red what i think is atf.  the only gear oil i ever saw that was a different colour before was that shitty redline fluid that is blueish. anyway any input would help. will the diff be damaged if it was ran with atf, and hgas anyone ever seen red gear oil. those are the questions im concerned about.

It smells like gear oil deadly but that could just be from being in there for so long in now smells like gear oil....I dunno everything seems fine tho....

332AF2C4-7D44-4B65-8AC7-362BF1BC3DAE.jpeg

EFCAEC66-81BF-4AEF-B182-AEA5A13A888E.jpeg

1DEA9DCD-6943-4AE3-93AB-592DC456EA37.jpeg

On 03/01/2021 at 3:00 PM, GTSBoy said:

ATF is thin and runny. That looks quite heavy.

hey mate, i poured both atf and the fluid coming out of my diff into 2 different cups. as i slowly poured them out into the bin you could see the fluid from the diff was draining much slower so proably gear oil and yeah definitly smells like gear oil. as stated probably a lsd fluid...i know my front diff is stock i think it is still acceptable for lsd fluid to be in a non lsd diff correct. i will switch it to my desired fluid with my quaiffe just comfirming if this is true about the lsd fluid in non lsd diff. 

On 03/01/2021 at 2:11 PM, r32-25t said:

If it smells like gear oil then it’s gear oil, most lsd oils are coloured 

thank mate definitely gear oil then

thanks mate, keep in touch im gunna have a bunch of single turbo swap stuff going on in the next couple weeks. probably have some more questions along the way. gunna use my stock motor thats in the car to plumb everything up and then when the built motor is done i will swap it in and crank boost way up. cheers thanks again your help is always well helpful not a bunch of bullshit and false info.