SAU Community

maintenance before start up (car hasn't been driven in 12 months)

defari

haven't driven my car for a year

pretty much impossible to get it towed (stored in an underground car park) I'll have to check its actually still there.

recommendations on servicing so i can get it running safely so i can get it to a mechanic?

i couldnt be bothered changing all fluids etc. Mechanic is a 5 min drive away.

Edited by defari

Fuel will be sh!t....may not even fire on the fuel you have in it, it depends on the motor.  I have had it not start [replaced fuel with fresh stuff and it worked fine] but have also had another motor start fine after sitting for 18 months.  So cross your fingers and see?

7 minutes ago, defari said:

Battery is long dead.

Going to drain fuel tank + put in some fresh fuel. 

Is it worth doing oil / rad fluid change if its going to a mechanic only a few km's away?

Car is a 1999 sti wrx.

If the mec is 10 minutes away I would just put some engine and radiator flush through it for the drive to the mec, then get them to change every oil and fluid

I would pull the plugs for the first turnover to build some oil pressure, after sitting around for 12 months there isn't going to be much oil in it, apart from the sump.

Wait, it a boxer, LOL, bugger pulling the plugs, does it have the "flooded" engine thingie where if you hold your foot flat on the accelerator it doesn't start, if so do that a few times.

3 hours ago, mlr said:

does it have the "flooded" engine thingie where if you hold your foot flat on the accelerator it doesn't start, if so do that a few times.

I love that advice as it is either good and prudent to allow oil pressure to build or it will start and rev its guts out!

1 hour ago, Ben C34 said:

I love that advice as it is either good and prudent to allow oil pressure to build or it will start and rev its guts out!

LOL, yeah, it's a hit or miss kinda thing

19 hours ago, mlr said:

If the mec is 10 minutes away I would just put some engine and radiator flush through it for the drive to the mec, then get them to change every oil and fluid

I would pull the plugs for the first turnover to build some oil pressure, after sitting around for 12 months there isn't going to be much oil in it, apart from the sump.

Wait, it a boxer, LOL, bugger pulling the plugs, does it have the "flooded" engine thingie where if you hold your foot flat on the accelerator it doesn't start, if so do that a few times.

flooded engine thingie? I wouldnt know.

49 minutes ago, defari said:

flooded engine thingie? I wouldnt know.

It is a function that most EFI cars have

Both my 2015 STI and my 2017 86 had it, from googling Subaru has had this thingie for years

My 2002 Dunnydoore has it

Basically you hold the pedal down, then try and crank the car, the FI system recognises WOT with the car off, this engages the "flooded engine" mode, and shuts off the injectors while it cranks over

After a oil change I usually give it 2 or 3 hits for about 5 seconds each, with the plugs in it doesn't really turn over that fast, but with the plugs removed it turns over much much quicker

Be aware that if you crank it for more than 10 seconds the car may start, but after 10 seconds of cranking the oil should be feed around all the oily bits

27 minutes ago, mlr said:

It is a function that most EFI cars have

Both my 2015 STI and my 2017 86 had it, from googling Subaru has had this thingie for years

My 2002 Dunnydoore has it

Basically you hold the pedal down, then try and crank the car, the FI system recognises WOT with the car off, this engages the "flooded engine" mode, and shuts off the injectors while it cranks over

After a oil change I usually give it 2 or 3 hits for about 5 seconds each, with the plugs in it doesn't really turn over that fast, but with the plugs removed it turns over much much quicker

Be aware that if you crank it for more than 10 seconds the car may start, but after 10 seconds of cranking the oil should be feed around all the oily bits

ahh ok i see.

like you mentioned, i was concerned about the oil situation.

cheers for the info.

Edited by defari