SAU Community

22 inches mag wheel on V36

Good morning and happy new year every one

I know this topic gonna trigger a lot of people here but as you can see from my user, i am a G noob or say a Car noob. This will be the first skyline i own (dream about it long time ago)

So i will pick it up from the dealer some time this week and as you see from the photos there, the wheels are quite big oh these 22 inches. At least for me it looks good, maybe not for other
My question is that are there big rim good for the car, i mean are they gonna wear down any part of the car, cause some sort of damage....?ย 

She comes with 5 years warranty (not very good, i know, but better than 3 month dealer stat warranty) so i don't really worry about the engine. not that i know a lot of it anyway. And they happy to swap these wheel with a set of 19 inches instead
Here i attached some pic of the actual vehicle

Thank you for your input

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

The 19" rims complement these vehicles well, in terms of both aesthetics and the tyres having enough of a sidewall to not make it feel like you're driving a horse-drawn wagon, let alone looking like one.

To that end, horses for courses. If it looks good to you, stick with it. I usually associate such mods to owners who abuse their vehicles, knowingly or otherwise. So hopefully you're not buying a shitbox.

What I would be checking though is to see if they have used any crappy spacers between the hub and rim, what has been done to the suspension and if the overall circumference of the tyre hasn't significantly changed (as that will potentially render your speedometer highly inaccurate).

11 minutes ago, The Max said:

The 19" rims complement these vehicles well, in terms of both aesthetics and the tyres having enough of a sidewall to not make it feel like you're driving a horse-drawn wagon, let alone looking like one.

To that end, horses for courses. If it looks good to you, stick with it. I usually associate such mods to owners who abuse their vehicles, knowingly or otherwise. So hopefully you're not buying a shitbox.

What I would be checking though is to see if they have used any crappy spacers between the hub and rim, what has been done to the suspension and if the overall circumference of the tyre hasn't significantly changed (as that will potentially render your speedometer highly inaccurate).

These rims were fited by the dealer himself but i have the same concern about the suspension, the rubbing, not adding theย speedometer issue. Look like i will ask them to put in the original rims and tyres

Point 1. Large diameter wheel + its tyre will weigh more than a smaller diameter wheel + tyre. Wheels are heavier than tyres. More unsprung weight is always bad.

Point 2. With more weight located further out from the hub, it will actually accelerate more slowly also. Unexpected result, but real. Big wheels suck power.

Point 3. Very low profile tyres are not necessarily going to give the best grip on real surfaces. The sidewalls have to be too bloody stiff, to prevent the rims touching the road.

Point 4. The sidewalls are seldom stiff enough to prevent the rims touching the road. They will get damaged.

Point 5. The rear's are sticking out most horrendously. I would expect the guards to make contact with the sidewall on any significant compression.

Point 6. Can you tell us what the stock size tyre is and what size tyre is on the 22s? If there has been a significant increase in rolling diameter, not only will the speedo calibration suffer, as mentioned above, but you might find that you can't turn the steering wheel to full lock without rubbing tyre on inner guard. There's also some risk of bump contact at the front too.

• Like 1

mostly as above, if they are the right tyre size (diameter), offset and width, they won't hurt the car, but given how they look in the pictures, I suspect they aren't the right offset, at the least..

That said, they will ride crap and will be crazy expensive to replace.

How they look, well that is in the eye of the beholder!ย 

Personally, I wouldn't go past 19s on these cars, but that's me..

6 hours ago, G-noob said:

Probably they think it will attach more potential buyer (like me). They are NSW based dealerย http://www.nipponmotors.com.au/ย pretty good review aroud

Have you already cut a deal with these guys, placed a non-refundable deposit, etc?

Looking through their very basic website, honestly, I wouldn't be inclined to do business with them. I smell a rat. Did you ask them for the Japan export/de-registration paperwork?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Point 1. Large diameter wheel + its tyre will weigh more than a smaller diameter wheel + tyre. Wheels are heavier than tyres. More unsprung weight is always bad.

Point 2. With more weight located further out from the hub, it will actually accelerate more slowly also. Unexpected result, but real. Big wheels suck power.

Point 3. Very low profile tyres are not necessarily going to give the best grip on real surfaces. The sidewalls have to be too bloody stiff, to prevent the rims touching the road.

Point 4. The sidewalls are seldom stiff enough to prevent the rims touching the road. They will get damaged.

Point 5. The rear's are sticking out most horrendously. I would expect the guards to make contact with the sidewall on any significant compression.

Point 6. Can you tell us what the stock size tyre is and what size tyre is on the 22s? If there has been a significant increase in rolling diameter, not only will the speedo calibration suffer, as mentioned above, but you might find that you can't turn the steering wheel to full lock without rubbing tyre on inner guard. There's also some risk of bump contact at the front too.

ย 

12 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Looks f**ked.

Abort

Yeah enough point for me to change my mind about the wheel, i did notice some rubbing on the passenger side when i turned left hard at the roundabout as well,

ย 

11 hours ago, junkie said:

And that warranty is completely worthless. Read the fine print and you will see how bad it really is.

I know its not very good but again, is it better than having none at all? Plus these guy has their own workshop so i can always come back complaining if something comes up along the way

ย 

11 hours ago, sonicii said:

mostly as above, if they are the right tyre size (diameter), offset and width, they won't hurt the car, but given how they look in the pictures, I suspect they aren't the right offset, at the least..

That said, they will ride crap and will be crazy expensive to replace.

How they look, well that is in the eye of the beholder!ย 

Personally, I wouldn't go past 19s on these cars, but that's me..

I was thinking about the running cost as well, a quick search show that a single 22 inch tyre cost around $400 - $600, no joke

ย 

11 hours ago, The Max said:

Have you already cut a deal with these guys, placed a non-refundable deposit, etc?

Looking through their very basic website, honestly, I wouldn't be inclined to do business with them. I smell a rat. Did you ask them for the Japan export/de-registration paperwork?

I have talked and aggree with a price, deposit however not down yet, still organising my fund this week. Looking at the market right now, for the price and what they have to offer, tbh for me, it is temping. They show me the auction paper and export certificate with the milage in it

8 hours ago, G-noob said:

They show me the auction paper and export certificate with the milage in it

a few dealers on Parramatta Road were found to be photoshopping papers. Get the VIN checked by JOC/JHC etc history checking service.

• Like 1

^^ This!!ย  It is worth getting your own Japan history check done too.

Easy enough for a damaged/ grade R car to be purchased at auction in Japan. cleaned up and patched up, then re-auctioned as a grade 4B or similar, all the dealer shows you is the last auction sheet, not the first.

Import dealers don't really have a good track record when it comes to shonky imports.

ย 

• Like 1