SAU Community

Am I getting ripped off

Hey, I am currently getting a motor built for my r33(minimum 1000hp)

it’s 99% finished, only to be told from the workshop that a couple of earth wires in the loom are broken from being old and getting hot in the engine bay overtime and now need a full custom loom and trigger kit for the car

ive been quoted over 5k just for the custom loom... my question is, would this be roughly what it cost? Or am I getting ripped off

4503F77F-53A4-4C0D-BBB6-D7FEE95F5A48.jpeg

Depends. Can you yourself replace a complete engine loom ? Making a custom full engine loom and installing it for you will definitely be expensive.

It's a bastard of a job.

Don't do it - replace the entire engine loom with a Wiring Specialties one. I have - they are great quality, probably better than factory, and pretty reasonably priced. Check them out.

lol yes that a huge rip off, many reputable companies can make you high quality harnesses for half the price. As mentioned above by BK... wiring specialties is the go to. i am using them on my 2jz-350z swap and i can tell you first hand that they are very good, reasonably priced, and the sky is the limit with them in terms of customization 

It's kind of a complex question. $5k is probably not unreasonable for the work and materials in a custom engine loom, but as said above there are other ways to achieve the same thing.

1.Cheapest way forward is to identify and fix anything that is damaged.

2.Prebuilt wiring looms as recommended above, or even a new genuine nissan one. Genuine for a 32 (looks like you have 33 GTR?) is about 1200 from amayama

3.Build a new loom from scratch

It's probably frustrating to learn late in the build but the workshop may not have been able to identify electrical issues until the engine was in and running. Plus, a genuine 1000hp+ build is not cheap so leaving questionable wiring in place seems like a bad idea

what ecu are you using? are you adding extra sensors?
Does the workshop do quality work or looms previously?

Its frustrating but if you have gone gone all out on a 1000hp build to me 5K is a drop in the ocean.

New loom with extra sensors and new trigger kit for $5k is in my opinion pretty good value. Solves a lot of issues that WILL pop up.  

23 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

make sure if they  make a custom loom you arent stuck with the coils where they are. that seems a bit rough.

Mate you've got eagle eyes, didn't even spot the coils until you pointed it out. Actually the more you look the rougher the entire layout of everything looks. Why you would even bother going away from coil on plug ignition now is beyond me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Duncan said:

It's kind of a complex question. $5k is probably not unreasonable for the work and materials in a custom engine loom, but as said above there are other ways to achieve the same thing.

1.Cheapest way forward is to identify and fix anything that is damaged.

2.Prebuilt wiring looms as recommended above, or even a new genuine nissan one. Genuine for a 32 (looks like you have 33 GTR?) is about 1200 from amayama

3.Build a new loom from scratch

It's probably frustrating to learn late in the build but the workshop may not have been able to identify electrical issues until the engine was in and running. Plus, a genuine 1000hp+ build is not cheap so leaving questionable wiring in place seems like a bad idea

Yes for sure, just sucks as I’ve been quoted x amount for my set up then it has actually been double $ then made me put a nitro crank in it(6k) on top of the quote and now an extra 7k on top for loom and trigger kit and hasent even been started yet😞 he reckons if one of the wires breaks it could blow my engine somthing about firing in the wrong order or somthing(I’m not a mechanic lol)

6 hours ago, BK said:

Mate you've got eagle eyes, didn't even spot the coils until you pointed it out. Actually the more you look the rougher the entire layout of everything looks. Why you would even bother going away from coil on plug ignition now is beyond me

Yeah that’s what was in it before I got it, apparently they are ls coils or something. Engine builder said about putting r35 coils in it. But already up to 7k for loom and trigger kit let alone coils etc. not sure if I should put the car in storage while I save the extra money for coil, loom, trigger kit or get him to finish as it and just risk it and do the extra mods when I have the funds

8 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

When they say 'custom loom' are they telling you what about it is custom? If it's simply a replica of the factory loom, that price seems steep. 

If their 'custom loom' is concentrically twisted with autosport connectors etc, then it's the bargain of the century! 

Not sure as I’m no way in means of mechanic, but he said something about it’s had a bit of stuff deleted off the loom and something about connectors or pins. It has a Haltech ecu in it. Would of thought I could get a haltech loom and modify that but he reckons it would cost more in labour to set up

6 hours ago, BK said:

Is it bad? If you could give me any pointers I can question him about the layout. 

8 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

what ecu are you using? are you adding extra sensors?
Does the workshop do quality work or looms previously?

Its frustrating but if you have gone gone all out on a 1000hp build to me 5K is a drop in the ocean.

New loom with extra sensors and new trigger kit for $5k is in my opinion pretty good value. Solves a lot of issues that WILL pop up.  

I’m using a haltech,

I’m hoping they do quality work, they source an outsider to do the looms for them 

23 minutes ago, sic33r said:

Is it bad? If you could give me any pointers I can question him about the layout. 

I think most of us are use to big power builds looking like this.....
Precision Turbo on Twitter: "When it looks stock but YOU KNOW what you've  got 😈 GEN2 PT6466 FOR LIFE! #PTEboosted #PrecisionTurbo #6466 #Repost  @dahtone_racing An unassuming 700hp R34 GTR V-Spec 2 Nür.

i like the use of a connector to a connector at least its a quality connector......
Capture.JPG.ac5e00c82608376226f146c0624aac9d.JPG

20 minutes ago, sic33r said:

I’m using a haltech,

I’m hoping they do quality work, they source an outsider to do the looms for them 

Haltech what...... platinum plug in, elite 2000/2500, e11 v2........
ask them who does it and get a quote from them.

3 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

I think most of us are use to big power builds looking like this.....
Precision Turbo on Twitter: "When it looks stock but YOU KNOW what you've  got 😈 GEN2 PT6466 FOR LIFE! #PTEboosted #PrecisionTurbo #6466 #Repost  @dahtone_racing An unassuming 700hp R34 GTR V-Spec 2 Nür.

i like the use of a connector to a connector at least its a quality connector......
Capture.JPG.ac5e00c82608376226f146c0624aac9d.JPG

Haltech what...... platinum plug in, elite 2000/2500, e11 v2........
ask them who does it and get a quote from them.

Ah yeah that does look mint

as for that connector... never even noticed that before lol..

As for the ecu I think it could be a plug n pro or platinum but will ask engine builder tomorrow

do have these random photos not sure if ya could tell of them

86667CAE-C547-4ED2-A11E-FE637A6FB45C.jpeg

708891C3-7225-46A2-A474-694A0634BB8B.jpeg

33 minutes ago, sic33r said:

I’m using a haltech,

Ah yeah I’ve just read them my self lol, platinum pro plugin 

5 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Did you already have that from before the build?

Yup, long story short brought the car drove it for 112km and found metal shavings in the sump then pulled the motor out and apparently the block and head was f**ked, had to get a new block and head built- took nearly 12 months and now the loom is no good

5k doesn't necessarily go far when it comes to making a custom loom. The materials for my loom cost around 4k. If you're using Tefzel, DR-25 and autosport connectors, you will easily get over 5k very very quickly. I'm doing mine myself so there's no labour cost, but if you're paying for labour then 5k doesn't get you a whole lot. It's an extremely time consuming job.

I think you need to ask what you are actually getting for that money. Wiring can cost you anywhere from $1000-$20,000 and over.