SAU Community

What do i need for a 300kw SR20DET?

zutzut

Hey Crew,

At the moment i am running a stock s14 setup with Tomei 256 11.5 lift cams and random front mount intercooler. Just looking at advice for turbo, injectors, coil pack, ecu, manifold, cooling, fuel pump ect to make a reliable 300kw street/track SR20det with stock gearbox/axles/diff. Don't mind spending a bit extra on parts if it extends the life of the engine and i don't like cheap shit. Will do all the work myself as i have a decent mechanical knowledge. comments, list of parts all welcome. Engine has around 200k on it and never been flogged granny spec when purchased. 

cheers fellas

Do you have a 2nd SR20? Because you did say 'reliable' and 300kw, and 200k on it.

The smart answer is be happy with the T28 and make 200kw or thereabouts and enjoy it.

There's so many options for all of those categories and any of them will work.

I.e Injectors: Any of them bosch based, thousands to choose from
Fuel Pump: Anything Walbro (525 or whatever they are up to) - Make sure your wiring is up to the task, it will need upgrades.
Cooling: Any FMIC will work of any decent brand. Some fabricators can avoid cutting up your battery tray and going through the kframe instead. Worth asking.
Coil pack: R35 conversion kits are all the rage. Yaris coils less so. Could do new OEM (cheap) or Splitfires (OEM). Just get used to misfires on a SR20 basically.

Stock gearbox? Will it take 300kw - I know the S15 6 speed doesn't - I don't know about the S14.
RB25 gearbox is common upgrade. 370z CD009 boxes as well. 

Turbo - G25 550 if you really only want 300kw. Go external gate.
Manifold? Anything that suits that. Surely 6 boost has something. Surely Full Race has something if you truly don't mind spending extra. Smaller is better because lines and clearances to them not melting will make you sad otherwise.

ECU - Anything that the tuner can tune. Tune it yourself I say, because no tuner gets everything 100% - Noone pays the hours to get everything perfect.

Why do you want 300kw? Have you done 100 track days and want to knock 1-2s off by upping the power?
No? Just want clout somewhere? Cheapest way is to not mod a car and photoshop up a dyno graph. Will be happier.

You won't get much change from 20K for this. And then your engine will explode.
Sell the S14 while COVID Prices are high, this is the smart answer if you want a fast, well performing, reliable car - The cash the sale gets you is the fastest and easiest way to get it.

anything over 250kw and driving aggressively will kill a sr20 gearbox. 

coming from someone who has had a 200000km sr20. 220-230kw is all that is needed for a very competent track car- gtx2867, 1300cc injectors, taarks fuel rail, aeroflow fuel reg, Nistune with r35 MAF or Link plugin ecu, Walbro 460 (with correct wire size & relay). Standard manifolds, 3 inch exhaust and a generic intercooler, quality radiator, NPC RB conversion clutch.
Spend the rest on whitelines bushes, mca coilovers, quality brake pads & rotors, decent tyres & enjoy reliable fun track days.

This is my latest sr20 setup

go towards the bottom for dyno chart on a conservative 16-17psi on old motor

• Like 1

Hey fellas, 

Both good points, 300kw was probably a bit of a overbite for the old S14 so looks like I will go with less power. Probs just get a link ecu, run it on E85, upgrade the fuel pump and injectors/coils and maybe a slightly bigger turbo. Plus a decent clutch.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hey Guys Im thinking of selling my dedicated track car (Cannot be registered), and car trailer. Thought Id put it up here 1st to give you guys first option, before advertising it elsewhere   Car is a 10/1993 Nissan Skyline HCR32 R32 GTST (Cannot be registered), Dedicated Track Car. Interior stripped bar factory dash RB20DET motor/5 Speed Manual 6 Point Bolt in “Bond” Roll Cage Drivers Seat is a Racing bucket seat, standard passenger seat 5 Stud Hub conversion F/R, Intima Track/Race Pads, DBA T3 Club Spec vented rotors. 17 Inch Rims with 245/45/17 Nitto NT01 Semi Slicks, Rims are 8 inch front, 9 inch rear Brake lines replaced with GKTeck Hard Lines Custom Oil/Air Separator, with sump drain 5L custom Catch Can, with built in Radiator Overflow Tank Boost Doc Cam Splash Plates Brand New Pulsar G30-770 Turbo with custom tubular high mount exhaust manifold, Cat removed, 3 inch exhaust with screamer pipe 45mm Turbosmart wastegate GFB Electronic Boost Controller Front facing plenum Big Intercooler with R35 MAF New Radiator and Thermo fan  LS2 Coil Upgrade on custom rail 1000cc injectors/ 460L fuel pump direct wired to battery/running straight E85 Battery relocation behind passenger seat, Gel Battery, with isolation switch  Nistune ECU (Needs to be retuned for new turbo kit, Around $800 for the tune) Headlights replaced with custom Aluminium duct and a shed of various spare parts hahaha and a heap other things I cant think of right now In Car video at Wakefield Park https://youtu.be/757a75mzIvI Trailer is a Mario Car Trailer – Beaver Tail, 2T capacity, Tare 650KG, Carrying Capacity 1350KG. Dont really have any pics of trailer bar the 2 attached lol I was looking for around the $25K mark for the R32 and trailer, but happy to consider separating Ranger may also be for sale for the right price, Never been offroad, 4wd only used for reversing the trailer on grass  lol Not interested in trades. Let me know if you want and more info or pics   new setup at idle.mp4
    • Yeah the Drift R wheels look awesome. They are pitted though, wonder if I can fix that somehow.
    • I picked up my diff today. Both their shop manager and machinist wanted to have a chat prior to me leaving. Conversation started with "Where did you buy these garbage parts? What's the name of the company?" They actually went on Speedtek's website during our conversation and made what I think is the best gear head joke I've ever heard after seeing they make straight cut gears. "They've probably only gotten away with selling straight cut gears as they'll make noise whether they're properly machined or not. People are none the wiser" The humor made the 2500$ in the hole I'm in after this whole experience a little better lol. They also pointed out that not only did they find identical issues on both ring and pinions that Speedtek had sent, but that by eye you can see the pinion teeth do not have the same profile from one end to the other.  They went on about this being the worst diff job they've ever done and how it was a colossal waist of time. Luckily after mentioning how I purchased another diff to learn how to assemble them, they were nice enough to give me a crash course on diff assembly on another diff they were currently doing. I like to tell myself they did this to be nice but deep down, I know it's to be extra certain they'll never see me there again lol.  Speedtek was pushing for a store credit but I'll never feel confident purchasing from them again due to their third world machining techniques and QC. I just asked for a full monetary refund.  I'll pop the diff back in this Friday and take it for a spin if the streets are clear of snow. 
    • Hey any chance you still have this for sale or know someone that could help me out with tuning my stagea?
    • Haha, yeah parts will become much more expensive than the car in no time. Decent list of mods and I haven't seen a set of ROH Drift R wheels in a long time! They look great too. Helluva project, I'm jealous.