SAU Community

What to look for when buying a Skyline Crossover?

My2c

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but been a long time visitor. I'm looking to buy my first JAP imorted car. Ive done some research about different models as below:

Nissan Cima, Fuga, Cedric, Skyline V36 350/370GT Type P & Crossover J50.

I found the Crossover a good alternative to existing local cars such as RAV4 and RX 350.

I need to know what are the common issues with the Crossover J50 models?

So far I listed my findings below:

1- LCA bushes

2- Water pump

3- Rust

Should I go for the RWD or AWD version?

Any transmission issue? Any rattling issue?

Sorry for all the Qs.

Sam

Edited by My2c

• My2c changed the title to What to look for when buying a Skyline Crossover?

Why would an old Skyline crossover be a better choice than the smartest possible choice in the segment (being a RAV4)?

Typical example. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2017-toyota-rav4-gx-auto-awd/OAG-AD-19381813/?Cr=0&gts=OAG-AD-19381813&gtsSaleId=OAG-AD-19381813&gtsViewType=showcase&rankingType=showcase

20 hours ago, My2c said:

1- LCA bushes

2- Water pump

3- Rust

add to that list

• insurance
  • parts availability
  • most mechanics wont want to touch it when things go wrong
  • you probably cant read Japanese therefore media/nav system is not great to use.
  •  

2 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

add to that list

• insurance
  • parts availability
  • most mechanics wont want to touch it when things go wrong
  • you probably cant read Japanese therefore media/nav system is not great to use.

I can use google translate or google lens to translate the text. Insurance is very expensive though. 

Most mechanics hate imported cars :)

I think some parts are shared between 370Z & Crossover but not 100% sure.

56 minutes ago, My2c said:

Price is also $10k cheaper that the one in your link.

3x as old, twice the mileage. Orphan. Not a turbo coupe. Therefore the RAV4 is better in every way. If you're cross shopping these things and RAV4s, you already recognise that there's no difference between a jacked up Camry and a jacked up (Skyline?), for driving around the suburbs and using the extra ride height to clear the barkchips when you need to get it onto the lawn to wash it.

The only saving grace would be the much larger engine. But my 2.5L RAV4 accelerates off the line well enough to get in front of the Mini Clubman in the next lane. How much more does it need?

• 10 months later...

I don't know whether you've made a decision yet or not. But left to me, I'll choose RAV4 over skyline everytime. Apart from the fact that RAV4 is a new product, skyline is an old product that it's almost out of vogue. It has some issues and require high maintenance. 

• 3 weeks later...

Did you end up buying the crossover ? 
we have had ours now 4 years and it’s got 292000km on it and apart from a new radiator it’s been faultless ! 
from the Infiniti quality to performance of the 3,7L smooth 7speed transmission. By far the best car we have bought. 

• 5 weeks later...

Rav4 and skyline crossover are not comparable, they are marketed to a different group, and designed as such. My wife has a 2008 Rav4, i have the crossover (2011). Rav4 is much more economical, much bigger luggage space, more legroom in rear seats, cheap service cost, parts are everywhere. Crossover is an up market wagon, but small inside, good driver car, parts not so common, service cost higher, more of a cruiser than a shopping basket. work out firstly what are your real needs from  a car…