SAU Community

Small Oil Cooler Effectiveness

cachorro

Since i've removed the water heat exchanges on my RB26, I was contemplating on adding a small oil cooler. Can anybody vouch for the effectiveness of a smaller Setrab unit like this or this?

They're around 8x4-5 inch 10-13 row but I'm not interested in adding anything larger around the front bumper wheel well area. I'd rather keep it compact.

The setup is not a race car but a street car with repetitive high RPM reaches.

16 minutes ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Do you have an oil temp sensor/ECU or a oil temp gauge? What sort of temps are you seeing at the moment? 

Not running hot at the moment and piecing a single turbo build. Wanted general consensus around this setup based on experience

It really is hard to provide advice because it depends on how much you are trying to lower temps, and at this stage you don't know if you have a problem at all.

I'd go without an oil cooler for now, but add a temp gauge. My guess is something that small won't make much difference so would only be useful if you have a minor temp issue

I've got a Series 6 25 row setrab in a nismo duct and on the track oil temps still get to 120 degrees after 5 laps.

on the road im not sure I'd bother. definitely put a temp sensor in and if you are getting over 100 degrees move to a decent synthetic oil then keep it under 120 degrees.

if you can't keep it below this, then spend the money on the cooler.

Edited by burn4005
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, burn4005 said:

I've got a Series 6 25 row setrab in a nismo duct and on the track oil temps still get to 120 degrees after 5 laps.

on the road im not sure I'd bother. definitely put a temp sensor in and if you are getting over 100 degrees move to a decent synthetic oil then keep it under 120 degrees.

if you can't keep it below this, then spend the money on the cooler.

This is good advice. The only thing I would add is always use synthetic oil in a turbro.

Pretty much all of them have thermostatic plates for above 80C or so (which is technically a bit low)

If you actually get your oil on the street above 120C then a bigger concern is not dying/going to jail.

LS yes

RB no

Get a gauge to find out how hot your oil is/how hot it gets before buying something to address an issue which may or may not exist.

Generally speaking, if you want an oil cooler you want it for the track, so fit the biggest one you can physically fit and move everything else out the way to fit it.

Any other use generally requires no oil cooling.

• Thanks 1