SAU Community

Dumbest Mistake Ever - Come in to roast me and give me advice

47 minutes ago, PLYNX said:

Yep !

Many years ago, i think it was Slick50 or Nulon, ran a promotion where they treated a motor with their silicon additives, drained he motor dry, sealed it up and proceeded to drive it around Australia.

It was Slick 50, and their stuff is PTFE (Teflon), not anything silicon. I'm also pretty sure that the demonstration did not involve driving all the way around the country. I think it was just a closed track test.

And. Or but .... Something about their demonstration was suss as all f**k. It was a Holden straight six. Can't remember if it was a red motor or a blue, but it doesn't matter. They said the engine was completely standard, that all they did was ran the Slick in it per instructions then drop oil and drive it. But engines with hydraulic lifters can't run without oil. They .... just... can't.

The other thing about it is that hydrodynamic bearings need the oil to prevent the bits of metal banging into each other. Not just from a wear point of view, but also from the mechanical hammering point of view. If you do not have the oil in the bearing to keep the metal apart, then the crank will smack into the main bearing cap every time the piston gets pushed down and smack into the block when the piston gets to the top and probably bounce up and down and left and right according to whatever horrible harmonics are driven by all that, and those short, sharp mechanical impulses are definitely NOT what the doctor who designed the engine ordered. The rod bolts and the main bolts will not be designed to take the loads over those short time scales. The caps could actually be distorted by such loading and fatigue and crack. Same with the bearing webs in the block.

Slick 50, as an engine oil treatment, could really only legitimately claim to offer protection against the no oil-pressure moments immediately after each startup (which is a legitimate point of wear in any engine) and as an emergency protection in case of sudden loss of all oil, provided the engine is shut down before the bearings get beaten to death or the lifters collapse and cause the cam lobes to beat the followers to death, etc etc.

• 3 months later...

Years ago a bunch of us were out at these gravel pits where you could take a dirt bike. A buddy gets fed up with rotten Ford Monza and starts ripping around. Ends up tearing off the oil pan. At this point car is toast so he puts in neutral and plants a rock on the gas pedal. It ran for about 20 mins at near wide open missing an oil pan.

• Like 1