SAU Community

NA V6's

cagou

Guys - besides the Nissan inline sixes - there are the less well naturally balanced V6's that can also respond pretty well to lots of mild changes cumulatively giving rise to better punch overall.

All my experience to date has been with the ubiquitous Magna 6G74 in standard 164Kw form.

The engine had done over 250kms and needed a refresh so it was whipped out and completely stripped down.

The following things were done extra to than just the usual rings and bearings, water pump and belt(s):

Decks surfaced and piston crowns surfaced to match..

Heads milled 60 thou.. de-shrouding of valves.. port matching.. contouring and cc'ing of combustion chambers.. 150% uprated valve springs.. new large aperture lifters..

Use of new old stock 6G74 'Ralliart' higher lift longer duration camshafts and vernier adjustable lighter weight cam wheels.. dialling-in valve timing at 6 degrees of advance over factory timing at advice of Mitsubishi development engineer Robt Green..

Use of 6mm phenolic heat blocks at the inlet to plenum, and at the inlet to throttle body..

Use of a fail to safety low temp thermostat ..and use of a thicker radiator core..

Replacement of the steel dynamic balancer with a drilled alloy under drive crank pulley..

Removal and sealing apertures of all EGR bits..

Removal of cat.. and installation of Advance headers and a 3" perforated tube and 2.5" perforated tube (50/50) open system.. no baffles anywhere..

HPC'ing of all of the exhaust components, internally and externally..

Heat wrapping of all the components from the collector to outlet ..Borla 3" outlet with ground effect 'droopie'..

Restricted hot water flow to throttle body.. K&N panel filter..

Use of 45Kv distributor.. NGK HT's ..and 'Pulstar' plasma field plugs..

Use of VP15 real time flashing chip to ECU ..all fields laptop set for 'power'.. 98 octane (Gull/Mobil/BP)

All the engine work was done by Rex Danby (NZ speedway engine development engineer)..

The vehicle really needed better handling/braking ..all rotors slotted for wet weather..

New old stock 'red' Koni Ralliart front struts ..Whiteline adjustable tower brace ..front camber kit..

Nolathane bushes front and rear.. and 20% uprated rear shocks..

To finish off I went through the car, removing EVERYTHING of extra weight, that was NOT NEEDED (the whole of the rear load floor, the spare, the tools, the towbar, the roof rack, rubber floor mats, and stereo speakers.

Edited by cagou
left out some stuff by mistake