SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

My R33 got defected this afternoon, I understand they will go over the entire car at the pits. 

My car has a few aftermarket suspension arms in the rear, gktech camber arms and hicas delete. Do I need the HICAS to pass pit inspection? 

Also engine bay wise, it has a FFP aftermarket turbo (still on the factory exhaust manifold), aftermarket fuel rail, I will need to fix the breather system at the moment it goes to a big catch tank. It also has a Nismo 1.5way diff does that matter? 

Thank you. 

Location matters.

I have been through regency in SA with a mini spool, so you would assume a 1.5 way is fine. Don't change stuff just for fun.

Aren't you Perth mate ? What was the specific on the defect ?

Regardless of what was on the sticker, they will send you for engineering certs on all the mods. The pits here have really cracked down on modified cars, they get in a lot of trouble if they get caught not pulling you up on things they are supposed to so 99% of the time they will. To be honest, most of them will see a pod filter and just send you to an engineer for certs on all mods.

Engineer will send you for emissions test (should be an easy pass as long as you have a decent cat). They will also want a dyno print out showing that you meet the 180hp/tonne rule, so will send you for a dyno run - engineer needs to be present when this is performed. 

Unlikely to get the suspension arms past the engineer, so I would swap those back. HICAS likely won't be an issue.

Will need to pass an exhaust volume test. 

Intercooler needs to have mesh in front of it.

Otherwise all your standard things, no oil leaks (and clean any residue well if there has been one, don't want to fail because it looks like you have one when you dont), all lights work and correct colours etc.

The really painful bit is, you need to apply to get your pre-approval for modification before you can engage an engineer. This can take months. Mine took 8 weeks from the day of application. Then they can request anything they like from the engineer - my pre-approval letter requested a swept volume test (on a stock engine) and brake and swerve testing (this means hiring Barbagallo so your engineer can take your car for some hot laps). 

If you still have all your stock gear, it will be much quicker and easier to swap it all back to stock - with the caveat that you could get stickered again the next day and have to do it all over again. Engineering is nice, but it is expensive and is a fkn slow process. If your car isn't TOO heavily modified, it may not be too bad. But all depends what they ask for on that pre-approval. 

• Like 1

Man don't say that Martin, I was thinking of moving to WA.

So I take it I've got no chance of getting my two 32 single turbo GTR registered there then ?

Here in the NT we have yearly over the pits inspections for cars over 10 years old and it goes through everytime.

1 hour ago, BK said:

So I take it I've got no chance of getting my two 32 single turbo GTR registered there then ?

Here in the NT we have yearly over the pits inspections for cars over 10 years old and it goes through everytime.

Come to SA mate, we have nothing!

12 hours ago, BK said:

No its certainly possible. They have just cracked down on people doing it 'the wrong way'. Ie, modifying first and getting approval later. It makes it harder. But mainly because a lot of people, like myself, use their car as their daily and don't have another car. Then when you get stickered and the process of getting it all engineered takes months and months, it just makes life really hard.

If you get approval before you modify your car, or your car isn't your daily and it doesn't matter how long it is deregistered, then its quite easy. Just a little bit expensive. And a bit restrictive, they might not let you do the mods you want to do. But they're pretty good for the most part, they wouldn't care at all about the single turbo conversion. Just have to comply with emissions and the 180hp/tonne thing, which is... navigable 👀 some things are impossible, race seats etc. 

I'm also not sure how the car being registered in another state prior would affect things. I feel it would be treated like a deregistered car and you would have to go through the process, but perhaps it is slightly easier I dont know.

On 2/19/2021 at 9:21 PM, Unzipped Composites said:

Regardless of what was on the sticker, they will send you for engineering certs on all the mods. The pits here have really cracked down on modified cars, they get in a lot of trouble if they get caught not pulling you up on things they are supposed to so 99% of the time they will. To be honest, most of them will see a pod filter and just send you to an engineer for certs on all mods.

Engineer will send you for emissions test (should be an easy pass as long as you have a decent cat). They will also want a dyno print out showing that you meet the 180hp/tonne rule, so will send you for a dyno run - engineer needs to be present when this is performed. 

Unlikely to get the suspension arms past the engineer, so I would swap those back. HICAS likely won't be an issue.

Will need to pass an exhaust volume test. 

Intercooler needs to have mesh in front of it.

Otherwise all your standard things, no oil leaks (and clean any residue well if there has been one, don't want to fail because it looks like you have one when you dont), all lights work and correct colours etc.

The really painful bit is, you need to apply to get your pre-approval for modification before you can engage an engineer. This can take months. Mine took 8 weeks from the day of application. Then they can request anything they like from the engineer - my pre-approval letter requested a swept volume test (on a stock engine) and brake and swerve testing (this means hiring Barbagallo so your engineer can take your car for some hot laps). 

If you still have all your stock gear, it will be much quicker and easier to swap it all back to stock - with the caveat that you could get stickered again the next day and have to do it all over again. Engineering is nice, but it is expensive and is a fkn slow process. If your car isn't TOO heavily modified, it may not be too bad. But all depends what they ask for on that pre-approval. 

I was thinking the same thing, I'm pretty certain they will be hard on me. 

Bit of an issue going back to stock, I'll need everything - intake manifold, injectors, maf series 2, series 2 ecu etc. See how I go finding that stuff locally. 

I already have modification permits for my coilovers,intercooler and exhaust. 

Regarding the rear arms, I'd need to find stock parts too.. Bit of a bust up. 

Will see how I go, and post back with results for anyone else wondering. 

I live in Perth W.A

Unfortunately WA Police/Transport Department is all over it now. I went to quite a few different inspection centres and none of them have any/much leniency now they're all by the book. As a couple inspection centres I use to use got taken out for passing off cars not compliant apparently. 

Time to get it engineered :)