SAU Community

Best aftermarket ECU for rb25det

IM-32-FK

I’m doing the classic 400-450hp unopened 25det setup and I’m gonna sack my power fc since it doesn’t have ignition cut and you can’t do an anti lag tune on it or mafless setup.  So in your opinion what is the best ecu to get for a 25det? I constantly hear about link g4, haltech platinum pro and sometimes adaptatronic. In your opinion which is the best ecu to get? Cheers

When talking about the 'best' ECU's and Haltech in the same sentence, I wouldn't go with the platinum pro. The platinum range of ECU's were released in 2009 and are showing their age. I'm not saying they are bad, I use one myself, but they are not really modern by todays standards. 

Have a look at the Elite range of ECU's and be guided by what functions you require as to what model is most suitable for you. 

As for what the best brand of ECU is, it depends on what you want from it. This is the short version of what I think about them:

* Haltech - similar to an Apple product, quality products and you pay a small premium for it. The software is pretty to look at and easy to use. The hardware is more then capable of getting the job done. (I am a Haltech fanboy as I've had amazing customer support over the many years of using their products). 

* Link - similar to a typical PC/Andriod product. Better value for money when compared to Apple however not as pretty to look at or as user friendly.

* Adaptronic - no longer considered a player in the game. Haltech took over Adaptronic back in July 2018 so they could get Andy Wyatt on their roster. While it's still 'technically' a separate company, it hasn't been the same since. 

Probably the most important bit though, who is going to be tuning your ECU? If not you, ask your tuner what ECU they'd prefer to use for your goals and be guided by that. 

what sort of motorsport are you doing to need anti-lag, and what other features are you looking for to suit eg track logging, launch control, traction control etc?

Seems to me that PowerFC is the "best" ECU for almost all RB applications given its price and simplicity. You only need something more expensive if you have particular feature needs.

13 hours ago, Murray_Calavera said:

Probably the most important bit though, who is going to be tuning your ECU? If not you, ask your tuner what ECU they'd prefer to use for your goals and be guided by that

JEM in ingelburn, Sydney. Very reputable tuner of skylines.

4 hours ago, Duncan said:

what sort of motorsport are you doing to need anti-lag, and what other features are you looking for to suit eg track logging, launch control, traction control etc

41 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

Why do you need ignition cut rev limiting? Fuel cut is much safer for the engine.

Not gonna lie, I mainly want it for bangs, wanks and flames. But I also want it for launch control and to get rid of the lag during shifts and rev dumps and of course throttle response.I don’t plan on doing any motorsports. I also heard it’s very rough on the engine and that’s kinda what’s holding me back. I don’t want to blow thousands on a engine rebuild

29 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

Flames mate, that's why

We think alike

Edited by IM-32-FK

15 hours ago, IM-32-FK said:

I’m doing the classic 400-450hp unopened 25det setup and I’m gonna sack my power fc since it doesn’t have ignition cut and you can’t do an anti lag tune on it or mafless setup.  So in your opinion what is the best ecu to get for a 25det? I constantly hear about link g4, haltech platinum pro and sometimes adaptatronic. In your opinion which is the best ecu to get? Cheers

MoTec M150

• Like 1

who is tuning & installing it?  Go with what ever the tuner recommends. 

Personally Link G4+/x is my go to as have most experience with the software. They do a plugin for r33 and heaps of safety features if required will throw made flames on gear shifts & limiter

On 15/03/2021 at 1:21 PM, Murray_Calavera said:

What ECU does JEM recommend you use?

Ok I just spoke to JEM and he said go with the plat pro because they know it inside out. I found a used plat pro for $1570.

But I also found a nistune for $650 but some guy said the nistune will restrict my power to around 300kw. 

On 15/03/2021 at 4:15 PM, blind_elk said:

Sorry, but if you aren't doing any sort of motorsport, why on earth do you need 450hp?

Because I’m getting tired of being gapped by camrys and aurions

On 15/03/2021 at 4:26 PM, admS15 said:

Power fc

Keep it and spend the money burning a hole in your pocket on hookers and cocaine. Lifelong memories right there. 

You're welcome 😉

power fc you can’t even do a e85 flex fuel tune that’s why

Just another thing. My current setup I’m going for is

3076r garret .82 t3 vband gen 2

bosch 1000c with plazmaman top feed rail and turbo smart fpr800

walbro 535

45 turbo smart external wastegate

Probably plat pro haltech

i currently have blitz return flow fmic, 3 inch turbo back with hi flow cat exhaust

stock intake and exhaust manifold

As far as the in/ex manifolds go, I’ve been told many times that the intake mani is still go for around 700hp and the exhaust manifold is good for 450hp too (Ben Moore a tuner from Victoria did a 351kw tune on a stock in and ex manifold on 20psi 3076r .82)

is it safe to run the standard head studs for 351kw on 20psi 3076r? I’ve been told they start stretching around 22-24psi

also I heard the blitz return flow restricts at 300kw. So what are some reasonably priced non return flow intercoolers I can get?

and finally does anybody know if a plazmaman top feed rail will clear the stock intake manifold and throttle body?

cheers

Edited by IM-32-FK

1 hour ago, IM-32-FK said:

$1570.

But I also found a nistune for $650 but some guy said the nistune will restrict my power to around 300kw. 

$1570 is a rort. I wouldn't pay that for that heap of shit.

Whoever "some guy" is is a knob lol. I'd go Nistune over Halal all day.

If you want the best its Motec or Emtron really. 

• Like 1