SAU Community

EPA vs race cars

1 hour ago, r32-25t said:

Has anyone heard the new rules being brought into the US regarding race/modified cars?

Nope, But I can answer your question, it will no more make it to Australia than the Speed limitless freeways like 60% of Germany's Autobahn's. We are not blind "murkin" followers, or particularly innovative with rules.

Looks like a tough interpretation of rules considering likely % of total emissions from race cars, but I guess we all need to do our bit.

On the bright side it only seems to affect internal combustion engines, so electric cars should be fine

• Like 1

I really hope no one is stupid enough to try and get something like this up and running here. I would have thought that if anyone had thought about it for more then a second they would realise it doesn't make any sense. 

They show all these pictures of trucks rolling coal and then say ban race cars, the two don't even relate =/

22 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

It’s still not a realistic option for Australia until electric vehicle's can do over 1000kms with out a charge 

That's not really the required metric though? Percentage wise people doing 1000k trips with no stops are incredibly small so not the best to point towards.

The confusion over why diesel trucks are seemingly conflated with "race car exemptions" is one of those things where it really only makes sense if you've followed how "race car exemptions" have been abused in the US. Literally every single tuning part in the US is sold as "off-road/racecar use only", to the point of worthlessness. The EPA is just calling BS on this when the vast majority of parts like DPF + SCR + EGR deletes are sold to vehicles that are only ever driven on public roads and nothing else. If DPF/SCR/EGR/TWC deletes were truly only sold and used in race/track-only cars I doubt the EPA would have even bothered revisiting this issue after 2015, but they weren't and they're using the nuclear option as a result. What's actually happening is that entire businesses are running these emission deletes on their diesel trucks to avoid having to spend money on maintaining their engines properly. Harley Davidson was nailed for this as well, they would sell motorcycles to people as "emissions compliant", then after sale dealers would just put the real tune on it and wouldn't even pretend that the thing was for off-road use by requiring the motorcycle to be trailered off the premises, people would just drive off with street plates already on the thing.

The actual laws haven't changed, the EPA is just changing their interpretation of it and that's going through court battles now. We'll see if it goes anywhere this time, last time they backed down.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Harley Davidson was nailed for this as well

I have a pair of Harley Sportster exhausts brand new. They came off a mates new bike, the bike was taken out of the crate by the dealer, the exhausts changed for aftermarket, Fuel system modified, all before the bike was started. It still goes on.

• Confused 1

Harley Davison had to remove their Screaming Eagle super pro tuner from the market, within a couple of minutes the aftermarket came to the rescue with a few options.

You can still buy a brand new Harley and tick all the hi-po mods, cams, heads, intake, exhausts, hell, you can get a whole new big bore Screaming Eagle performance engine that the dealers will fit to your brand new bike, with a warranty, with a Maximus or some other tuning box supplying the tune.

But, truth be told, if the dealers don't do it, the people who are going to modify their bikes would just find some local bike shop to do it anyway.

Just like when people buy a car and send it straight to some speciality tuner shop for the "stage send it"

As soon as you play with the tune the car or bike is basically illegal here anyway.

What hurts is the heat seakers with pop and bang tunes, or coal burning diesels

Idiots driving around going pop and bang and coal burning bring the heat, and the publicity 

Like when the authorities cracked down on all the 6" lift kitted cars, or the slammed cars, or the whistling BOV, ect. ect.

What's more of a concern are all the old trucks that are cruising around the cities 

I know trucks that roll in the cities, doing runs from ports that can use 1 ltr for every 2km, and poors out more poisonous gases than 10 modified cars could in an hour

These trucks are typically running 12 hrs a day, 6 days a week

This is where the EPA should be looking, and the government should be helping by giving owner drivers subsidies so owners can sell their old trucks for new, more environmentally friendly diesel or EV for running trucks around the cities

Meanwhile, I'm driving a modified old V8 and a modified Harley, so there's that........🤡

On 16/03/2021 at 8:59 AM, Ben C34 said:

That's not really the required metric though? Percentage wise people doing 1000k trips with no stops are incredibly small so not the best to point towards.

You may not but there are a lot of people who travel those distances for work every day

2 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

You may not but there are a lot of people who travel those distances for work every day

They aren't the target market. 

There are also people that need to be able to tow 3500kg everyday. Doesn't mean every ev needs to be able to do it. Short trips are the most common.

I think it's way more likely that people will just change their habits, and charge massively at home - and when they can't, they'll make use of the 45 minute charging times and charging locations will take suit.

Why not plan for an ACTUAL lunch break at a restaurant? Or watch an episode or two of your favourite show on a tablet? Which may even be inside the car?

This is if anything, kind of more comfortable.

How long do you wait between sessions on a casual track day? About 40 minutes?

I don't doubt the second an EV car similar to an 86 or MX5 appears to hit that market that will cause a ton, ton, of migration to them. You can even add silent hooning to the list. People won't complain about hoons at night if they can't hear them. No police car will be suspicious of the sound of your EV 86 and hear you coming.

Not to mention the reliability benefits. I reckon one of the first groups to truly embrace the EV will be car enthusiasts like the ones on forums like these 😛

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Everyone who said this was all a scare tactic and nothing would come from it, the EPA has been coming down very hard in the USA including handing out huge fines to car at Rocky Mountain race week.

so again I ask do you believe this will come to Australia and will it mean the end of modifying our cars 

• Haha 1

Ah no they are going to take our freedoms !!!!!!

Oh no. Time to rise up. We should be free to alter emission systems how we choose to get more power because this is Australia. Going fast is a right they can't  take away. Time to do some burnouts at parliament house to show them who is in charge .

• Haha 1