SAU Community

EPA vs race cars

3 hours ago, r32-25t said:

Everyone who said this was all a scare tactic and nothing would come from it, the EPA has been coming down very hard in the USA including handing out huge fines to car at Rocky Mountain race week.

so again I ask do you believe this will come to Australia and will it mean the end of modifying our cars 

Where was this guys workshop?

Any workshop in Cali not complying with emissions can be subject to fines

I believe the "race use only" isn't a thing in Cali

"Coming to Australia".....you're a bit late!

Unless you're Rip van Winkle, the EPA for the last 30 years, at least in NSW, have demonstrated that modification, as what is performed over there to registered cars, is illegal. 

A proper race car is unregistered or on a permit at best - nil effect locally - and suspect the same there.

• 3 months later...

I was under the impression that Australia has had much more stringent requirements for a while now with cars getting defected for all kinds of reasons in some regions.

Technically a standalone ECU that is programmable with no limitation has always been illegal for a street car. The EPA just has never had any reason to go after people until widespread popularity of coal rolling and hiding emissions equipment deletes with ECU tunes forced their hand. 

It sucks for the distributors caught in the crossfire for selling fairly innocuous stuff but it’s been decades of turning a blind eye on the part of the EPA. 

• Like 1