SAU Community

R34 GTT 4WD conversion

Hi guys

Im looking to convert my r34 gtt to 4WD. Someone told me I can just take Stagea c34 drivetrain to do 4WD conversion

but I’m not sure what parts are included in “drivetrain” so I know I’m gonna need Stagea gearbox, front tailshift, drive shift, rear diff, sump with diff, is there anything else?

can those parts go straight on to gtt? And do I also need Stagea 4WD ECU to run it?

and also looking for someone want to convert your Stagea c34 to rear wheel drive, we can just swap the parts if it works, location in Brisbane 

cheers

Edited by [email protected]

As Duncan said, the front frame rails are different. The RWD Skylines have a similar front subframe and bracing as a Silvia, where the AWD Skylines/Stageas/Laurels have front frame rails that are notched to allow for CV axles to pass under them and move up and down. The front frame rails also have different mounting points to use a much larger front subframe that houses true wishbone lower control arms. This subframe attaches in 4 places instead of 2 and uses 8 bolts in total. The floor under the driver's left foot is relieved for the transfer case and front driveshaft, as well.

So let's say you bought all of the suspension/drivetrain stuff:

front subframe

front lower control arms

front knuckles and uprights

front shocks

front CV axles

front sway bar

oil pan w/ front differential to match the rear ratios

front driveshaft

transmission w/ transfer case

rear driveshaft

So now you have to control the transfer case. The ATTESA system in these uses a hydraulic pump located under the boot on the driver's side and sends variable amounts of hydraulic pressure to the transfer case to apply pressure to plates that send power to the front driveshaft. There is quite a bit of plumbing involved, and even more wiring as this integrates with ABS/TCS.

All this to say that it's fairly unrealistic. If you buy all the parts, you still have to cut and modify the floor section where it meets the tunnel, and you have to notch and reinforce the front frame rails to accept the very different front subframe. It's been done before, but it's just not practical. Especially since these parts aren't just being tripped over in the corner at multiple importers like they used to be.

Do what I did. I wanted an AWD R34, but couldn't afford a GTR. So I bought an ENR34.