SAU Community

Questions about fuel system upgrade for a R33 GTST

G’day,

I’m looking to get some more power out of my R33 GTST soon (about 260rwkw) with some bolt ons and I have a couple of questions for those in the know. I’m still in the part collecting stage.

With regards to fuelling, I’ve done a bit of research by rummaging through old threads and I’m leaning towards some top feed Bosch 1000cc injectors with an aftermarket fuel rail. I’ve chosen to keep the stock plenum and I just want to make sure that I’ve got the right options down before I order.

I was thinking of getting the fuel rail kit from EFI Solutions: https://www.efisolutions.com.au/top-feed-fuel-rail-kit-rb25det-r33-c34 and a set of Bosch 1000s from Goleby’s: https://www.golebysparts.com.au/products/bosch-1000cc-980cc-1150cc-fuel-injector-e85?variant=29908789297261

For injector length, I have chosen 3/4 length 14mm and for connectors & adaptors, I’ve chosen Nissan JECS to Bosch Injector adaptors. Are these the correct options to plugin to the factory harness and to clear the stock plenum? I just want to be certain before I go and place and order only to find out that when I install the injectors, they don’t clear the plenum and I’ve chosen the wrong adaptors. From what I’ve read, I’m pretty sure I’ve got it right but would like confirmation. From what I’ve read, I think that I’ll need an aftermarket FPR or will the stock one be sufficient? If I need an aftermarket one, what would you recommend? I’m also thinking of getting a Walbro 255 from Goleby’s. Is there a better choice? Keen to hear some advice. Cheers

Edited by Zoidian

9 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You will need an aftermarket fuel reg (gfb, turbosmart, aeroflow. What suits your budget) and would recommend a walbro 460l pump just to future proof the setup. Ensure you do a new relay and wiring of correct size for the fuel pump. 

Thanks mate, I thought so. Budget for the injectors and related components would be roughly 1K. I'm trying to do a relatively cheap bolt on build but without lacking in quality. I've been looking at a Turbosmart FPR800 which would be around $200. Anything cheaper/better? Will probably grab a Walbro 460 instead over the 255 since there's not a huge difference in pricing between the two.

9 hours ago, dyl33 said:

I'd buy the whole injector kit from efisolutions, so you get the correct nozzle adaptors to suit the injectors and their rail.

Also you have to split the intake plenum to fit the taarks fuel rail.

I would too but the Bosch 1000s that go with their kit are out of stock, which is why I've thought of going to Goleby's for the injectors. Not sure what you mean by split the intake plenum for fitment of the fuel rail. TAARKS claim that it's a 100% bolt on kit. Do you have a recommendation for a bolt on kit?

I also saw these "plug and play" Raceworks injectors on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-New-1000cc-BOSCH-Fuel-injectors-E85-OK-for-R32-R33-R34-RB25DET-Skyline/171812524122?hash=item2800d3105a:g:b~0AAOSw7fJgRxkm

Anyone had experience with these?

30 minutes ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You need to remove the top half of the intake manifold to fit the rail and injectors on then reinstall the plenum. Yes it's "bolt on" but there will still things that have to be modified. 

Is that all he meant? I knew I'd need to do that anyway and replace the old gaskets while I'm at it.

1 hour ago, Zoidian said:

I would too but the Bosch 1000s that go with their kit are out of stock, which is why I've thought of going to Goleby's for the injectors. Not sure what you mean by split the intake plenum for fitment of the fuel rail. TAARKS claim that it's a 100% bolt on kit. Do you have a recommendation for a bolt on kit?

I also saw these "plug and play" Raceworks injectors on ebay: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-New-1000cc-BOSCH-Fuel-injectors-E85-OK-for-R32-R33-R34-RB25DET-Skyline/171812524122?hash=item2800d3105a:g:b~0AAOSw7fJgRxkm

Anyone had experience with these?

You can still buy the injectors from golbys, you just need to make sure you get the correct nozzle adaptors to make them fit.

l would ring efisolutions and ask what nozzle adaptors you need to buy to reach 3/4 height injectors.

You can buy a wiring specialties plug and play injector harness, makes things easy. https://www.wiringspecialties.com/wsrbinhabrne.html

11 hours ago, robbo_rb180 said:

You need to remove the top half of the intake manifold to fit the rail and injectors on then reinstall the plenum. Yes it's "bolt on" but there will still things that have to be modified. 

Borrow an Asian mate or your missus with small hands. (I'm Asian myself, so can be casually racist in this post 😂)

You can do it with the top part of the plenum still on.

And agree with everyone, get the full kit from EFI Solution. FPR800 will be more than enough and I suggest against the Walbro 460L on small setup. You'll be heating up the fuel and also have issues with the stock setup returning the fuel fast enough.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, dyl33 said:

You can still buy the injectors from golbys, you just need to make sure you get the correct nozzle adaptors to make them fit.

l would ring efisolutions and ask what nozzle adaptors you need to buy to reach 3/4 height injectors.

You can buy a wiring specialties plug and play injector harness, makes things easy. https://www.wiringspecialties.com/wsrbinhabrne.html

I'll give EFI a ring on Monday and ask them when they'll have the injectors that go with their kit back in stock. As for the harness, I don't want to stuff around trying to get stuff out of the USA but thanks for the suggestion.

8 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Borrow an Asian mate or your missus with small hands. (I'm Asian myself, so can be casually racist in this post 😂)

You can do it with the top part of the plenum still on.

And agree with everyone, get the full kit from EFI Solution. FPR800 will be more than enough and I suggest against the Walbro 460L on small setup. You'll be heating up the fuel and also have issues with the stock setup returning the fuel fast enough.

I probably will just wait for EFI to have injectors back in stock so that I can run their full kit. Looks like I'll be going with the FPR800 then. I hadn't begun to think about potential issues with running the 460 with my setup. Thanks, will likely be going with the 255 then.