SAU Community

Rust in R32 GTR Fuel Tank

I was having a new fuel pump put in my r32 GTR and the shop says they found rust in the tank and it will likely need to be replaced. I know the fuel tank in the r32 GTR is plastic, but is there metal baffling or something else irreplaceable inside that could be rusting that would cause me to need a new fuel tank?

The crap has most likely come from a combination of bad fuel and deterioration of factory fuel filter. I have seen a factory fuel filter corrode at less than 10000km after cutting them open if they've been on there awhile. Possibly also inspect your fuel rail for rust too as the factory ones can also  corrode.

Just take it out and clean it with bleach, it will come up new. Absolutely do not replace it if it isn't split and leaking. (I have split 3 over the years)

I agree it’s likely dirty crud that’s made it’s way back to the tank via the fuel return. The fuel pump holder/pickup baffle thingy is plastic. The only metal in there is the pump and wiring and clamps. 

I’d do the same as BK suggested. Take it out, clean it, flush out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. 

Maybe double check it is a plastic GTR tank. 32 GTST tank is steel and I know people have fit GTR tanks into 32 GTST but I’m not certain if the GTST tank fits in a GTR, but it might.

33 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I agree it’s likely dirty crud that’s made it’s way back to the tank via the fuel return. The fuel pump holder/pickup baffle thingy is plastic. The only metal in there is the pump and wiring and clamps. 

I’d do the same as BK suggested. Take it out, clean it, flush out the fuel lines and replace the fuel filter. 

Maybe double check it is a plastic GTR tank. 32 GTST tank is steel and I know people have fit GTR tanks into 32 GTST but I’m not certain if the GTST tank fits in a GTR, but it might.

Holy shit, what blast from the past - the Beer Baron is alive ! Great to see you back mate !