SAU Community

Subaru Impreza sometimes squeaks when breaking

Car has been like this for over a year but I ignored it because it wasn't that bad, even now it's now all that bad (at least I think) just sometimes when I break it squeaks, but not all the time. In the morning though it's pretty loud when I break but once I drive the car for a bit then go to break, it goes away, but still happens sometimes. 3 years ago I had the front 2 wheel bearings changed but person I was with in the video reckons it's the wheel bearings.

We checked the break pads, they do need to be changed soon but they did have a bit of material left on it, one one side it had about 1-2mm of material left. Also as you can see the in the photos the boot is split, not sure how long that's been like that, I think that's the tierod? Also the green thing seems to have some dried oil around it, not sure if that matters, I did have a leak ages ago but that was fixed. Here is the video, I put the volume up a bit as it was low. But I had someone turn the wheel and every time it was turned you can hear a sound, it's not the same sound as when I break though. The car was put in neutral when I had someone spinning the wheel (car was lifted up with a jack)

Do you think the tierod has an effect here? The rotors looked ok as well.

20210402_103927.jpg

20210402_103943.jpg

Edited by silviaz

The squeak is usually from the wear indicator....this tells you its time to change the pads.  It does this before the pads are actually down to bare metal, so gives you fair warning.

Another reason for squeak/squeal is 'racing' pads...pads too hard for and that don't heat up enough for normal driving.

Last reason is sometimes [and I've had this happen]a stone [usually bluemetal from road base] can flick up and get caught in the disc caliper.  I've had this happen a couple of times,  not on my Skyline, but can't see why it wouldn't happen to one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tridentt150v said:

The squeak is usually from the wear indicator....this tells you its time to change the pads.  It does this before the pads are actually down to bare metal, so gives you fair warning.

Another reason for squeak/squeal is 'racing' pads...pads too hard for and that don't heat up enough for normal driving.

Last reason is sometimes [and I've had this happen]a stone [usually bluemetal from road base] can flick up and get caught in the disc caliper.  I've had this happen a couple of times,  not on my Skyline, but can't see why it wouldn't happen to one.

I see. They were pretty thin, the person I was with might have done a wrong diagnosis. I'll do that first, then do the boots and shit. On the right side of my car the calliper has half its life left, uneven wear not sure why. 

38 minutes ago, GTSBoy said:

Don't leave the rack boot open any longer than you have to.

Ok, I will get it replaced soon just all stores are closed. What is the worst case scenario contamination of break lines?

Edited by silviaz

4 hours ago, silviaz said:

What is the worst case scenario contamination of break lines?

That's the steering rack boot. It keeps the bits inside away from the nasty shitty dirty gravel strewn mess that is the outside world in a car's wheel arch. You do not want all that crap getting in with metal on metal joints and gear teeth. Especially considering the grease and oil in there for it to stick to.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:30 PM, GTSBoy said:

That's the steering rack boot. It keeps the bits inside away from the nasty shitty dirty gravel strewn mess that is the outside world in a car's wheel arch. You do not want all that crap getting in with metal on metal joints and gear teeth. Especially considering the grease and oil in there for it to stick to.

Ah ok thanks. I'm getting it fixed tomorrow. I hope I haven't left it too long because I changed the right side of the car boot  not too long ago I don't think I checked the left.

• 3 weeks later...