SAU Community

Financing a Skyline (Updated 2021)

I was reading this old post from 2005: 

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/84197-financing-a-skyline/

and people we’re getting easily approved with commonwealth back in the days is this still true? if not, what’s the best place to get a loan approved to buy a skyline - with these recent covid prices:’(

*I am with anz and located in WA.

Edited by yaboi34

• yaboi34 changed the title to Financing a Skyline (Updated 2021)
21 hours ago, yaboi34 said:

I was reading this old post from 2005: 

https://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/84197-financing-a-skyline/

and people we’re getting easily approved with commonwealth back in the days is this still true? if not, what’s the best place to get a loan approved to buy a skyline - with these recent covid prices:’(

*I am with anz and located in WA.

I went thru Commbank and I am in W.A too. 

I financed my Skyline when I was 19 and 3 years later I own it outright. I had no issues with it, had stable full time employment and don't regret it. 

Not everyone has $30k sitting in their bank ready to buy a Skyline. 

Just make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic that has good knowledge of RBs (in W.A I'd recommend PZP in Wangara). And don't expect to daily drive it, it will have issues - but these vintage Skyline's are like legos very easy to fix just comes down to $ and time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, admS15 said:

Every bank knows the exceptional investment that a skyline is in this day and age. 

Any bank that doesn't throw the money at you is crazy.

yeah that’s what I would imagine aye especially with the prices but I have a few mates that’s been stuffed around by banks so I’m just browsing around before I apply:)

5 hours ago, Blakeo said:

I financed my Skyline when I was 19 and 3 years later I own it outright. I had no issues with it, had stable full time employment and don't regret it. 

Just make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic that has good knowledge of RBs (in W.A I'd recommend PZP in Wangara). And don't expect to daily drive it, it will have issues - but these vintage Skyline's are like legos very easy to fix just comes down to $ and time. 

Yeah Commonwealths looking real good but how was the application process for you? how long did it take until you got approved? also did you apply over the phone or instore?

That’s very true man.. I’m still young, have no priorities and all the time in the world so a loan for a shitbox wouldn’t hurt, right? Just bummed I didn’t get into cars earlier before the covid prices started.

Will do man, and oh god no haha I already have a daily set up so it should be all goods.

Edited by yaboi34

1 hour ago, mlr said:

I'm curious on what comprehensive insurance is for a 20 year old car on finance?

I would imagine alot

You get a loan for that also mate. It's simple stuff. Or use after pay or similar for those expenses.

2 hours ago, yaboi34 said:

but I have a few mates that’s been stuffed around by banks

You have more info on that? What do you mean stuffed around,
 Do you mean the bank wouldn't loan them the money because they couldn't afford it and it was a bad idea?

When I was 21 (2007) I bought my r33 gtr with a loan, $34k from memory was repaying $180/ w

also had full insurance with justcar which was about 1200/yr

and in the mean time also built it up to 600hp with various levels of modifications throughout the 5 years.

but also was living at home with very little expenses so it was very affordable to me

would I get a loan for a skyline now given their prices... hell no

If I could turn back time, I would have put my money into property first.. then a few years later draw on the equity and buy a car.

I got the order wrong, but found my feet in the end.

So TL,DR don't finance a car, unless the rates are cheaper than your home loan so money stays in the offset.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blakeo said:

I daily drove mine for 17 years and hundreds of thousands of KLM, regular servicing and not thrashing a cold engine works wonders. 😃😃

5 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

If I could turn back time, I would have put my money into property first.. then a few years later draw on the equity and buy a car.

I got the order wrong, but found my feet in the end.

So TL,DR don't finance a car, unless the rates are cheaper than your home loan so money stays in the offset.

I agree. I got to the grand old age of 40 to get my GTR. Got 3 properties first now am in a position to pump money into the old girl. The problem is this next gen want everything immediately. Life don’t work like that lads.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Humbla said:

I daily drove mine for 17 years and hundreds of thousands of KLM, regular servicing and not thrashing a cold engine works wonders. 😃😃

My dear, I believe you were also using common sense 

I tried common sense once, me and common sense never really did work well together, maybe due to the "stupid boy" paradox 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Humbla said:

Agreed ! 5000km servicing with Penrite HPR50 40-70 will do it every time.

460k+ on the clock cant be wrong !

Hmm,I'm in Australia so have used an aussie oil for many years. Nulon 1030,I had an engine replaced at 26000 many years ago work shop mistake. All up 7 100000 services, 2 on first engine and 5 on the series 2 and just about due for another one. Do i still love the skylines?you bet I do. Open the garage door on a Sunday and see that lovely big backend and can't wait to cruise. 😃😃😎😍

21 hours ago, admS15 said:

Houses are over rated, Skyline's are where it's at.

This ^^^^^

Sold evo to build house, put deposit on land, still waiting on title for land, bought skyline, 1.25 years later still waiting on title for land.

• Sad 1