SAU Community

Should the engine be leveled when sitting in the car?

winc

After a long time from the car i decided to start putting it back together and complete the singel turbo conversion on my r33 gtr, with a 6boost and a EFR 8374. Well i got stuck on the DIY downpipe when i couldn't remember if the engine should be in "level" when it sits on the engine mounts and with the gearbox installed. I guess it should be but I'm not sure so that is my question.

With the engine in the car without the gearbox, can i use a "bubble level" on the intake to see that its in level or is there a better place to use rather than the intake? Or should it be tipping "front / back"?

As it sits now i have the engine on the engine mounts and woodblocks under the rear of the sump to keep it in level.

The concern is when i put the gearbox back on and throw it back in again and the engine was supposed to be leveled but wasn't that it ends with the downpipe no longer fitting.... trying to avoid that.

Best Regards

Pierre

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 12:57 PM, Ben C34 said:

Engines don't need to sit level.

Make your exhaust out of flex entirely then no worries

If it fouls on anything when refitting with the gearbox, just bash a dent in it with a hammer.

But seriously, fabricate with the gearbox in also. It will help show you what room you've got further down to fit things where, as well as allow you to fabricate mounts that might attach to the gearbox etc.