SAU Community

Cam gears and poncams next??

So I’m upgrading intercooler and fuel hanger/pump, have 1000id injectors e85-9 Garrett’s making 320awkw currently.Will upgrades to cam gears and type B poncams assist much in power gains on my Gtr32.

Im going to tidy the engine bay by powder coating the cam covers and figuring out weather to upgrade at this time. Advice would be great.

Edited by Matty George

Hi again Matty. Just do the cam gears and keep the stock cams with your -9 turbos. If you cam it you will absolutely make more power, but your car will be slower everywhere except the drag strip.

Your call

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Don't get Tomei cams if you're wanting new cams, get some decent Kelford cams, an intake cam gear (advance its mum) and install new valve springs (avoid Tomei junk), retainers and valve stem seals.

Yeah but with -9s car will still be slower for a streeter, even with the most baby drop in L182-A Kelford cams.

You're right though with the Tomei valve springs, how shit are they ? Caused me nothing but problems. The Tomei type B is, how did you put it, "made from a child's faeces"  😂 That still cracks me up.

That's correct, longer duration will move the torque/power to the RHS, however will also introduce more torque/power. This is where the intake cam gear comes into play, advancing that intake as much as possible (within reason) will pull that power curve back and the net result is nearly similar low RPM driveability but now with a wide power band :)

A bit of a balancing act.

Tomei cams & Tomei valve springs should not exist lol

• Like 1

Yeah I've played with this on my -9 33 with this with Tomei cams. Ended up going back to stock cams with I think about inlet advance 4 and exhaust cam retarded 2 degrees.

I think -9s would actually respond to a 10mm+ high lift cam with less than 260 duration, but most people are not going to do such big head modifications with such small turbos, or twins at all.

You are completely right though, but cams just not worth it to increase 10 - 15w at most top end.

when you do end up picking a set of cam gears i would go with the kelford ones. i think there the only cam gears with the 5 mini helicoils and seem very high quality compared to tomei hks etc. cheers

• Thanks 1