SAU Community

sequential synchromesh r34 gtr gearbox ? (except quaife)

Just wondering if there is any synchromesh sequential gearbox for the r3x gtr ?

I believe only quaife is the only one to produce one ?

THe reason I would prefer this type of gearbox is for servicing...because dog type should be inspect quite often..

If I'm not wrong albin, samsonas, hollinger, ppe are dog type

50 minutes ago, bigboss59400 said:

Just wondering if there is any synchromesh sequential gearbox for the r3x gtr ?

I believe only quaife is the only one to produce one ?

THe reason I would prefer this type of gearbox is for servicing...because dog type should be inspect quite often..

If I'm not wrong albin, samsonas, hollinger, ppe are dog type

Sequential synchro box is a total waste of time.

As above and Quaife do not make a synchro GTR sequential anyway - don't know where you got that from. Their current QBE91G GTR sequential is a choice of straight cut or helical gears, but it's still a dog engagement transmission.

Almost every semi truck in the US except for the very latest generations are all dogboxes. You don't hear about a semi trucks needing a transmission inspection ever 20k miles because it turns out that when downtime means you don't get paid people really make an effort to learn their transmission and treat it well. You also won't even get your full CDL if you can't drive a dogbox properly. If you hand your car to random valets, friends, etc, they're going to grind the transmission to death in a hurry. Synchro just makes sense on passenger cars for that reason, manuals are hard enough without learning out how to float gears/double clutch. People's brains turn off when you try to explain what exactly double clutching does.

Thanks a lot for your answers, I appreciate!

Sorry I made a mistake for the quaife

Well what scare me is one brand (I don't recall which one) advice to dissasemble the gearbox every 5000kms to check....and based on some reading here I can see that such gearbox need quite short servicing...

I'm looking into the DCT which looks amazing !!

Only downside is the final gear is "only" 1.00 for the GS7D36SG

And also product is quite new so I hope we get some result/review soon !

33 minutes ago, bigboss59400 said:

I don't recall which one) advice to dissasemble the gearbox every 5000kms to check...

OS giken with their OS88 state that, which is just covering their arse really. PPG early on with their H pattern had over 20000km without a teardown, proving that you can make them live without constant rebuilds. If you get to understand the mechanics of a dog box you'll understand what operational habits wear / damage them and what doesn't. At the end of the day they have to be unloaded to shift out of gear and synchronise the gear speed to select incoming gears without damage.

Sequentials are are great for this with dog boxes when strain gauge ignition cut is implemented for gear changes, as it unloads the gearset just long enough for the shift event to occur correctly. Shifting down gears is especially more tricky again with dog engagement, as it's easier to overspeed or underdpeed the gears on the shift event. Things like throttle blip ECU control, again usually in sequentials help with this gear speed matching to stop gear underspeed on the downshift.

This is why H pattern dog engagement boxes do actually require quite a fair bit of learning to get right, because the rev matching and gear unloading process is all completely manually done by the driver.