SAU Community

RB25DET-Neo Loud "Whining/Wirring" Engine-Noise, Timing Belt?

Hi Guys, so last week after a hard drive my R34 GTT has a pretty loud whining/wirring Noise coming from the front of the Engine.

Its hard to catch on Camera since theres a lot of windnoise coming from the Ventilator in the front, i guess you can hear it the best while idling after reving it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3AWah4SUGU

This Noise gets louder with higher rpm, and is almost louder than the Exhaust at 6-7k rpm. It also happens with both clutch engaged and not.

My guess is either the Timingbelt (but what exactly? I dont think it tighten up itself harder than the week before) or a secondary belt like the alternator (since i had a popped headlight bulb after the drive last week, maybe it overcharged and killed itself?).

I know my way around a engine, but i'm not a mechanic and don't have proper equipment to lift the car and investigate blindly, so any hint is appreciated!

i would start by taking all the other belts off and fire it up(ac, alt, powersteering). if the whining goes away you know its from alt, power steering, or ac belts or pulleys.  if sound continues remove front covers replace timing belt, idle pulleys , and water pump. ive had my water pump make some wierd noises right before it went. now would be a good time to take that noise seriously and fix it before something bad happens. all the parts and trouble shooting i just listed shouldnt cost more than 500 quid. cheers mate. if you have never done a timing belt id have a mate assist you the first time to measure deflection proper. i come from a rb26 world but im sure its much like the neo in this case.

shouldnt have to lift the car in this case for anything either. if you are going to use a crank puller to remove crank pulley to do timing belt dont use a three arm puller use the proper one that screws into the small holes in front of pulley or you will crack or chip it on the outter edge and feel bad after. been there done that.

• Like 1

my car was making that exact noise when i bought it and i thought i had major issues and i dont really know what the exact problem was but i replaced water pump, thermostat, timing belt and idler pully, hardware, new belts, problem was gone. keep posted im interested what you end up finding out. cheers mate

• Like 2

Alrighty, a bit bummed since the Timing Belt and accessory (including water pump) was changed 6 months ago before i bought the car. But i guess i'll start of with removing all belts beside the Timing Belt and see if the sound continues.

i wouldnt be bummed mate its a small issue and a chance to work on your car. the fact that you know workwas done 6 months ago might even be more a reason something isnt right. my guess is pulleys on timing belt. good luck

• Thanks 1

get your tools out find a few hours and get at it, wont be a better way to start the week, im finishing my e85 setup right now and its 5am no rest for the wicked. your issue wont take long to fix mate get er done.

22 hours ago, MoMnDadGTR said:

i come from a rb26 world but im sure its much like the neo

20, 25,26, they are all the same, same procedure, same marks etc etc. But before you start replacing parts willy nilly diagnose the problem, no one has mentioned VCT they can make some horrible noises when they shit themselves.

43 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

20, 25,26, they are all the same, same procedure, same marks etc etc. But before you start replacing parts willy nilly diagnose the problem, no one has mentioned VCT they can make some horrible noises when they shit themselves.

yeah alot a like but different. as you state the vct is something i dont have and didnt know anything about so this vct noise is news to me. i dont know shit about a 25 but if it is the vct is should be easy to here with some ears and a pipe. 

24 minutes ago, Rusty Nuts said:

RB25DET Neo Cam Gears?

By Dyzzii, December 30, 2018 in RB Series - R31, R32, R33, R34 (1986-2002)

Read this it sounds like a similar problem

i think you know alot more than i do chap your posts are knowledgable, ive only learnt from experience and from guys like yourself. ive had this issue before due to the fact it happened after a hard drive im thinking it could be the vct, hope this chap figures his issue out.

12 hours ago, Rusty Nuts said:

RB25DET Neo Cam Gears?

By Dyzzii, December 30, 2018 in RB Series - R31, R32, R33, R34 (1986-2002)

Read this it sounds like a similar problem

Hmm that guy has no Video with sound in the Thread. However i read he has it on certain RPM ranges? Mine sounds throught all revs, starting in Idle and gets higher pitched / louder with every rpm.

I gotta see which shop here has a little bit of knowledge about these Engines, its rare since the Skyline was never sold in europe. Can't do it with my Tools at home, i can't even get the Fan of since theres a nut at the bottom of the fan which i can't reach from the top, space is very limited with the Mishimoto-Watercooler and i can't remove that cause that would need me to drain the fluid. Thats something i can't do on my parkingspot, else they'll rip my contract in two parts.

They already send me a "warning" letter that multiple people wrote them they're "scared" since i'm working on my car there and i'm not allowed to do any engine-work on the spot.

So a bit lost here. Thought that "whine" is quite distinctive and someone on this forum for sure heard it before.

I'm sure that noise is timing belt. Years and years ago, was out for a night of fun and was making same noise apparently I had stretched the belt. This was a mechanics diagnosis many moons ago... 

On 15/04/2021 at 7:09 PM, MoMnDadGTR said:

did you ever get your issue figured mate. 

Not yet, because i'm stuck in multiple places. I can't get the Fan out because two bolts are stuck and "rounded", these probably need to be drilled out.

I wanted to ease the Alternator-Belt but the Alternator won't move after loosing both Bolts on the "Tightening-bracket".

loosen both bolts then theres the tensioner bolt you need to back right off then your free, or just cut the belt and get a new one if your all bound up. there is a socket tool you can get rounded bolts out with. you should print off the manual for your car as well mate. here to help just ake your time and communicate more on the site and you wont end up with rounded bolts. should be able to take that fan on and off a million times without rounding the bolts.... 

Alright i made some Progress today!

I was able to loosen up the Fan and remove it from the Shroud.

After that i got so angry at the Alternator-Bolt that i removed it completely aaand i was able to move the Alternator!

In the FAQ theres written to just loosen the Bolt, but i had to remove it entirely to adjust the Belt. With that done i loosened it up quite a bit, even making it screech upon startup, just for a Test.

Since the Sound seems to be only apparent when the Engines warm i took it for a quick drive to warm it up (without Fan and loosened Alternator-Belt).

The Sound is still there, but without Fan i was able to make a better Video of it.

I guess thats not how a RB25DET should sound like, right?