SAU Community

How big is the bonnets brace hole thing

Yeah ight sorry for the horribly described title but I'm looking for the actual size of this hole (mainly the bolt that goes threw it) on one of the braces on the bonnet, cas once i weld it, itll be a bitch to fix it. 

Would HELLA appreciate it if someone could gemmi a hand as I'm pricking up the car Tomo, and need the new brace to fit on it so I can drive it home

IMG20210420182245.jpg

IMG20210420182236.jpg

IMG20210420182229.jpg

Edited by Cheww

That's part of the bonnet hinge, I think (??).  If so, that hole is the hinge pivot point and there's no bolt but more like a big rivet.  A bolt might be used, but only guessing at the diameter.....10/12mm.     Where's the other 'half', presumably on the car or bonnet ??

11 minutes ago, SteveL said:

That's part of the bonnet hinge, I think (??).  If so, that hole is the hinge pivot point and there's no bolt but more like a big rivet.  A bolt might be used, but only guessing at the diameter.....10/12mm.     Where's the other 'half', presumably on the car or bonnet ??

Yeah it's part of it (the part attached to the bonnet not the car).. wish I was more familiar with the hinge and surrounding but it's been in the mechanic for a month. The hole (which is oval) is ruffly 12mm X 16mm. But I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like that, or if it's supposed to be circle 

16189116992967848981562433018160.jpg

It's been a long, long time since I owned an R31, but I don't think it's meant to be like that.    Supposed to be round and not elongated as if it's been worn from the bonnet flapping around.          It should look more like the hinge in the attached image (not from a skyline but a Silivia, but you get the idea).    You can see the pivot point has a shouldered 'rivet' and not a bolt.      Thinking about it more a bolt may not work because of clearance issues when the bonnet is closed.   You might be better to ask on the R31 forums:

https://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?action=forum

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 8.01.13 pm.png

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Surely it is 12mm circle because it is a pivot point....whatever happened was nasty (didn't close latch)?

Yea sure did, 500m from the mechanic as well 😑😑. Is their a reason you believe 12mm is the one or just instinct.

Screenshot_2021-04-20-20-42-42-36_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

44 minutes ago, SteveL said:

It's been a long, long time since I owned an R31, but I don't think it's meant to be like that.    Supposed to be round and not elongated as if it's been worn from the bonnet flapping around.          It should look more like the hinge in the attached image (not from a skyline but a Silivia, but you get the idea).    You can see the pivot point has a shouldered 'rivet' and not a bolt.      Thinking about it more a bolt may not work because of clearance issues when the bonnet is closed.   You might be better to ask on the R31 forums:

https://forum.r31skylineclub.com/index.php?action=forum

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 8.01.13 pm.png

Yeah shit this does kinda help to see that cheers for that, yeeeee I see what your talking about not having clearance with a bolt, but I do not have a clue how I would install a 12mm rivet hmmm, starting to sound like a might need a shit tone of zip ties to get it home  

6 minutes ago, SteveL said:

Truck ratchet tie-down across the bonnet wheel-well to wheel-well....with appropriate paint protection, of course 😀

Good luck with it.

I was gonna go with a zip tie approach (instead of a the bolt) but you can't be too safe can you.

28 minutes ago, Duncan said:

And on the bright side, at least it didn't crack the windscreen - it often does when it flies up

Oh I knowwww feeling very blessed, it had enough force to knock off the review mirror off some how tho.