SAU Community

Buy 370z over R33?

Been considering selling my R33, stripping all the aftermarket parts off and selling it as a stock example. And upgrading to a 370z that I'd ideally buy a ~2015 model for around $35k and with the extra money from selling parts off my 33 put a supercharger kit on the 370z. 

How would a 370z with a Stillen supercharger kit compare to my 33 which makes 440rwhp? 

I mostly want to upgrade because the car is much newer and I won't have to deal with rust/seal issues which will likely crop up with the 33 soon. However I've also spent a lot of money on the 33 and owned it for the last 8 years so its going to be difficult for me to sell.. 

Opinions?

Meh, either way?

It's recreational money spending whatever you do. There is no value proposition.

But, you're not going to get anywhere near the 550+ engine HP you have in the R33 from a supercharged VQ, and it is a ceentrifugal blower too right? So not even the promise of more boost from idle. The 370 might arguably drive better and put the power down better than the R33, so could be a better thing on the road, but it will not be as fast when stretching it out - only (possibly) faster in the cut and thrust of traffic, just off the lights, out of roundabouts, etc.

But if you want to get away from all the foibles of a rusty old R33 into something that is only marginally less ugly, then now is the time. People are paying dumb money for Skylines.

370z is a nice car to drive and, personally, on looks alone I'd take one of those over an R33 any day.     Had a supercharger on my Silhouette for awhile.   Great around town......BW diff didn't like it much though.

• Like 1

Depends, I have driven a few supercharged/turbo Zs from 260 to 450kw. Fun with all the modern things. 

Now after having my 370 for a while it's not a great car as daily driver. No room for groceries, not good on rough/poor condition roads (Townsville to Brisbane 1400km one way) and getting in and out of it. Mine is a nismo so suspension and seats are different but nothing different to Coilovers. I was going to turbo it but have given up on that as would ruin its reliability and could go buy a 2nd hand bmw/vw and not have to change the whole fuel system, cooling and other bits. 

Was going also going to sell my Rb25 sil80 but it does a few things better than the Z. 

Also depends if you are going to track it as Z needs decent oil cooler to help temps but everything else is good to go. 

39 minutes ago, admS15 said:

I've had similar thoughts, wrote an ad to sell the skyline but then common sense or not so common sense prevails. CAN NOT SELL SKYLINE.. 

Yeah I was at the same point with my car too but it is cool to drive old cars around.... 

*stares at the HQ in the garage *

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Meh, either way?

It's recreational money spending whatever you do. There is no value proposition.

But, you're not going to get anywhere near the 550+ engine HP you have in the R33 from a supercharged VQ, and it is a ceentrifugal blower too right? So not even the promise of more boost from idle. The 370 might arguably drive better and put the power down better than the R33, so could be a better thing on the road, but it will not be as fast when stretching it out - only (possibly) faster in the cut and thrust of traffic, just off the lights, out of roundabouts, etc.

But if you want to get away from all the foibles of a rusty old R33 into something that is only marginally less ugly, then now is the time. People are paying dumb money for Skylines.

Good point, I don't think the VQ makes enough power. But there's not many other cars in the 30-40k price range that can come close to what an RB can put out with ~$15k spent on it. It's a tough one, considering spending the extra upgrading the 33. 

2 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

Meh...sell and buy a Genesis or a Stinger...straight out of the box, nothing to modify.

I torture myself with this train of thought all the time....but done nothing!!!

Haha same mate, not too keen on the Genesis. But I quite like the Stinger, I'm holding out for the 400Z can't decide what to do but. 

2 hours ago, SteveL said:

370z is a nice car to drive and, personally, on looks alone I'd take one of those over an R33 any day.     Had a supercharger on my Silhouette for awhile.   Great around town......BW diff didn't like it much though.

Yeah I definitely prefer how the 370z looks, I don't mind my series 2 r33 from the front but the back end is ugly in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, hardsteppa said:

Didn't you only recently make a topic on this exact same subject referencing the same 2 cars?

Could have sworn it was about a Patrol, but you are probably right. Not sure where else to ask and I appreciate your guys opinions. 

1 hour ago, robbo_rb180 said:

Depends, I have driven a few supercharged/turbo Zs from 260 to 450kw. Fun with all the modern things. 

Now after having my 370 for a while it's not a great car as daily driver. No room for groceries, not good on rough/poor condition roads (Townsville to Brisbane 1400km one way) and getting in and out of it. Mine is a nismo so suspension and seats are different but nothing different to Coilovers. I was going to turbo it but have given up on that as would ruin its reliability and could go buy a 2nd hand bmw/vw and not have to change the whole fuel system, cooling and other bits. 

Was going also going to sell my Rb25 sil80 but it does a few things better than the Z. 

Also depends if you are going to track it as Z needs decent oil cooler to help temps but everything else is good to go. 

I think I really need to test drive one, going to see if I can tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Throw it all on DOGE coin right now, then cash out buy a M2 CS lol...

DYOR, this is not financial/car advice.

... keep the R33, I did that.. although I wanted to sell the croc of shit so many times. Nek minnit, $15k respray and another motor being built.

I am dumb.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Only cause I cured you !

Hallelujah !  Hallelujah ! Praise the Gods of Speed ! . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . but not you financial pain ! 

That's for you and the Gods of Finance to sort out.

Oh and you will be Judged ! 

18 minutes ago, PLYNX said:

Only cause I cured you !

Hallelujah !  Hallelujah ! Praise the Gods of Speed ! . . . . . . . 

. . . . . . but not you financial pain ! 

That's for you and the Gods of Finance to sort out.

Oh and you will be Judged ! 

Minister of War & Finance has demanded house renos.
House renos are in place at the moment 😂

have you looked at a Q60/Q50?

I only saying because went from a V36 to the Q60 and i'm loving it. You wouldn't have money left over to spend on any goodies

....or - better yet - forget about ruining a perfectly good car and just go out and buy a taxi with its own pre-installed boat anchor.....

[that should get 'em going.....in my defence I'd note that I've done the Chev 350 into Jag thing but that was years before I got my GTR, and the Z come to think of it]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V35_Paul said:

have you looked at a Q60/Q50?

I only saying because went from a V36 to the Q60 and i'm loving it. You wouldn't have money left over to spend on any goodies

Aren't these the cars that everyone else says drive like a bucket of shit?

• Haha 1

"Yeah I definitely prefer how the 370z looks, I don't mind my series 2 r33 from the front but the back end is ugly in my opinion." 

Looks are a personal thing, I'm not wrapped in the 370/Porsche type humpback look to be honest.  They all look like Vee Dub beetle clones.  Even Porsche are slowly evolving away from that look [but while trying not to alienate trad owners]. 

• Like 2

350 and 370 are just bastard Renaults and I couldn't live with one. At least the 400Z has dumped a lot of the Frenchness - not that I can afford to waste that much money on a car so my opinion on that matter is moot.

Nothing can save the R33 from looking like a 1995 Maxima powerfully buttf**ked a 1996 Magna.

Q60/Q50 has EPS which isn't much to write home about, god forbid you have the direct adaptive steering system which disconnects the steering column from the wheel so you have zero feedback and some electronic controller silently doing steering inputs behind your back. The 400Z hopefully has some form of hydraulic power steering and a lot of refinement to make it less of an 8/10ths car as everyone seems to think the 350/370Z are. Either way, the VR30DDTT will be a throwback to the Z32 TT with its tremendously cramped engine bay.