SAU Community

Removing the clutch 'damper line' ? (R33GTST)

I had an OSG clutch installed some time ago, but never removed the 'clutch damper line' ...

Does is make a big difference at all and what is the best way remove / bypass it?

Cheers

Attached from the manual (Figure 2)

OSG_SLEEVE_THICKNESS.JPG

Rip it all out and use direct braided clutch line from master to slave. I usually use the Japanese APP ones but just recently fitted one from HEL to the white 32 as they were cheaper and easier to get.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks ... will do ..

Can you tell me what difference it will make? How's the clutch feel afterwards?

I always thought the clutch feel is somewhat 'mushy' that's why I'm looking into the thing

As all car's clutches feel different, even if they are supposedly identical, it's impossible to say what will happen with yours. I did clutch damper delete on mine (just retained the hard lines and did a little rerouting) and I couldn't feel any difference. On other cars I've done it on, it felt nicer, and on some it was bad. Real juddery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I delete the whole lot, and have a new line from the slave to the master. Clutch kicks at the skid pan felt better, felt it it would engage faster.

However, previously it had unknown age fluid in the line so that could have attributed to it's crappy feeling.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback ... I definitely like no 'judder'  .. :) but will give it a go since I always thought the clutch feel is a bit detached and mushy. I think that's the consumer setup to make it 'nice' for ordinary customers ...

• Like 1

Remember there is still the rubber line to the slave in stock configuration, which swells on operation. Getting rid of that alone improves clutch feel, but just simpler to delete the lot. Bleeding is also much easier as it is pretty easy to trap air in the stock damper hardlines.

Changed mine to a quick change line and to be honest I didn’t notice anything different. I’m running a r4c clutch and it feels the same. 
Quick change line is braid it just had a cam lock in the middle, makes taking the box out easy

53 minutes ago, WR33KD said:

Changed mine to a quick change line and to be honest I didn’t notice anything different. I’m running a r4c clutch and it feels the same. 
Quick change line is braid it just had a cam lock in the middle, makes taking the box out easy

You wouldn't normally undo your clutch line taking a box out - you unbolt the slave from the box so no rebleed required.

• Like 1

Don’t have to rebleed it and it’s a simple push and turn vs 2 bolts and it hanging in the way, it’s also the same price for the clutch line and when your box is out as many times as this one is it makes sense to do so

On a GTR you have to remove the whole slave to get front shaft out, then just cable tie out of the way. I am under my car right now, so this is an APP direct clutch line on a push slave cylinder on my dog box.

IMG_20210508_121201_9.thumb.jpg.87bb9ac58072b95b7800bdd6949b9de1.jpg

23 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

They're what you get when you put a man engine and man gearbox in your Skyline.

You have such a hard on for the TR6060 🤗

I hate the slave in my XR6. Had to put a remote bleed line on the slave just to bleed it without the box being taken out. They are a pretty good transmission though - hard to beat on the street for shift quality (if your shifting below 5000rpm).

• Like 1