SAU Community

How to protect your rear interior from sun damage

Hi folks,

I unfortunate don't have covered parking where I live nor at work and am looking to protect my car's rear interior in the most efficient way.  The sun beats down pretty hard on the rear without a sun shade.  I know covering the car is best but my car gets dusty here after one drive to work so putting the cover on a dirty car isn't optimal and honestly it just takes too much time to put on and off the cover for me.   I saw Nismo makes a front and rear window sunshade now.  Has anyone tried these?  I'm curious how the rear one stays in place without sun visors holding it.  I also toyed around on Yahoo auctions and found they used to make an optional rear sun shade which looks interesting.  

I know there's always tint/window film but the shop I get most my work done at, Nismo performance center tokyo, strongly recommends not doing that as it doesn't age well and new glass will be harder and harder to find in the future so they recommend leaving the glass alone.  My windows are original and crystal clear. 

Opening it up for some discussion.  Thanks!

image.thumb.png.435ce1457be6af2c58ca12a38705ea09.png

image.thumb.png.f65582201d22ce93588d49a285d4a058.png

image.thumb.png.9da7f5cb804f6d7914c714e04cf054c0.png

Rear screen looks like it's one of the types with a metal hoop on the outside which causes it to stay up via tension against the headliner and the parcel shelf. Tint isn't a problem if you use a ceramic film but keep in mind that removing tint from the rear window especially is difficult and is what the mechanic was warning you about. Very easy to slice/rip up the rear defroster lines in the process of removing old tint, very difficult to repair such damage without replacing the glass.

My solution has been to just keep the car garaged end to end but obviously in Japan this is a very challenging thing to do. In hindsight while the market seemed like it was crazy to you it clearly has only gotten more insane since you bought your car, so you were right to scramble for what you could while you could.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2021 at 8:07 PM, GTSBoy said:

Just chuck a blanket on the parcel shelf and top of back seat?

This is definitely the cheapest option and would protect the rear speaker panel and top of seats at least.  That Nismo rear window cover would probably protect more but I can also see it being a pain to install compared to tossing a blanket over.  I just need to find a badass blanket.

14 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Rear screen looks like it's one of the types with a metal hoop on the outside which causes it to stay up via tension against the headliner and the parcel shelf. Tint isn't a problem if you use a ceramic film but keep in mind that removing tint from the rear window especially is difficult and is what the mechanic was warning you about. Very easy to slice/rip up the rear defroster lines in the process of removing old tint, very difficult to repair such damage without replacing the glass.

My solution has been to just keep the car garaged end to end but obviously in Japan this is a very challenging thing to do. In hindsight while the market seemed like it was crazy to you it clearly has only gotten more insane since you bought your car, so you were right to scramble for what you could while you could.

Thanks for always sharing your knowledge with me.  I've been trying to take advantage of being here while I can but even here prices are getting insane.  I went with the nismo chassis refresh and R1 turbo kit recently as prices are going up and Nismo says won't be available in the future.  Sad but true.  The Nismo guys here tell me everyone in the US is swooping up all the parts.  There's even a one-year wait to get an engine refresh here.  I'm interested to see how your process is going there in CA as I seem to be learning more and more to not returning to California because of the compliance process, cost, and time.  I also would like to keep the r1 turbos on without having to go back to stock.   If you get through it with your turbos I'd feel better about it all.    

As you said, there's little to no covered parking in Tokyo.  You're also right on with what the Nismo guys said about removing tint destroying the defroster which is exactly why they don't recommend it considering the lack of parts available and cost.  If one of those old school OEM optional sun screens show up without a rear window wiper option, I may try one of those out.  Hope my exterior rubber holds up.  If you find a good tuner over there too, let me know.  Minex VX rom is the thing to do here.  Gotta get mined returned one day there for 91 octane (they got 100 RON here).  Stay safe (and your car).

If you use a steamer window tint just peels off easy

The hot steam just melts the glue and off the tint comes 

I removed 20 year old tint recently and with the steamer it took me no longer than 1 hour

Good quality window tint would be a no brainer, the tint doesn't even need to be dark

Are you really going to climb in and out of the back seat everytime you park the car?

On 5/13/2021 at 6:22 AM, mlr said:

If you use a steamer window tint just peels off easy

The hot steam just melts the glue and off the tint comes 

I removed 20 year old tint recently and with the steamer it took me no longer than 1 hour

Good quality window tint would be a no brainer, the tint doesn't even need to be dark

Are you really going to climb in and out of the back seat everytime you park the car?

You're right on about not wanting to go in the back seat everytime.  Wish they had like an umbrella type one you can just open up from the drivers seat. 

I think I'm gonna have to wait till I get the car out of Japan to find a place to tint the windows.  I've asked around here and most people stick to factory tint or say don't touch the car.  I'll keep digging though.  Thank you for the info sir!

23 hours ago, tridentt150v said:

I use one of those gauze type baby shields with the spring wire frame on my back window, always have.  Held on with little suction cups on the inside. 

That's actually a solid idea and cheaper than the nismo shield.   Thanks for the tip!