SAU Community

Hi, can we be friends?

Nema

Hi, 

Reading SAU for 10 years now and its finally time for me to register.

My name is Alex and I have 1998 skyline GTT. Originally from Russia, came to Australia 6 years ago and bought my car following year. Since english is my second language, please excuse me for any grammar or spelling mistakes especially in technical terms

So, it is finally time to show my car some love and I am hoping to get it rebuild myself and add few mods. Got heaps of useful information from this forum and mastered search button. However, no doubt I will have some specific questions shortly, so just wanted to be polite and introduce myself prior. 
Planning to completely rebuild my engine, add all regular mods and sort suspension. 
Nothing unusual, would be boring for long time members. But, noticed 2/3 of the posts are 10 years old on average and most of the info needs to be updated. Unfortunately, I have no garage and had to rent shed with 1 power point and no lights for the next 10 weeks, hoping to start pulling my car apart this weekend. Really scared and excited at the same time. 

• Like 1

Hi mate,  we are now friends. Thanks for asking.

Renting a small garage to pull car apart does seem daunting,  do you have the required tools?

Hi Ben, not yet, got only basic spanner/socket sets and impact drill. Was planning to buy proper pliers, torque wrench, screwdrivers etc. will be useful in the future anyway. Also, I do have access to some tools from neighbouring joiner shop and hopefully will borrow some from my work mates. 
Ordering car jack/stands and lights from SCA tomorrow. And will get engine crane and stand next week when engine is ready to go out. I have to make few benches first as shed is completely empty. Winter is not helping, its already dark when I finish work 😞

Thank you,

all of the info regarding actual car is relevant. Last of our engines was produced almost 20 years ago, so no changes there 😌   I was saving money and dreaming about rebuild for few years now and April this year something clicked and Ive decided that time has come. I spent 6 months finding right car and only did 10-15k over 5 years, car is full stock, so should be a lot of work. Not even sure how long that might take ☹️ Surely its going to be a bumpy ride, but I hope everything will work out and it will worth it at the end. 

• Like 2

The most important thing when working on cars is safety

Have a plan

Have a budget

Remember to enjoy yourself, stuff will not always go as planned

Start a build thread,  it helps to keep track of things, and gives me something to read

• Like 1

Thanks, safety is my first concern as I will be working alone mostly. I will try to be as meticulous as possible. Already have general plan of action in my head. Just ordered $1000 worth of tools and will print 400 page manual tonight. I was planning to create build thread as soon as I start pulling car apart 

• Like 1

My mummy says to be careful of strangers on the internet but you seem to be alright, consider yourself friended.

Now, before you go pulling everything apart.

What are your goals? power, type of use etc.

How many kms currently on the car and what is the condition of it and the engine?

If the engine is healthy and your horse power goal is not very big, you may not need to rebuild it at all. Nissan did a good job with the RB engines and unless it's had a very hard life and not looked after it may be ok. 

I'd be spending time to assess the health of the engine before pulling apart. We have a saying around here   'don't let the Nissan out' 

Which means, don't pull engine apart unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 1

Hi, 

Thank you for your advice. Not sure about real kms, but it is showing 150k on the cluster. Engine has low compression, havent checked if thats bottom or top leaking as it does not really matter. Was already thinking about rebuild before the test, probably just for my own piece of mind. 
Compression is 1-150 2-145 3-140 4-130 5-120 6-110. But main reason for rebuild is to do it when Im ready, rather than when it knocks. Sadly our engines are not getting any younger, pushing 300+rwkw in 2005-2010 on stock internals is not the same as today. 

I am going a bit backwards, trying to upgrade as many old parts as I can within my budget and then see how much I can safely get out of an engine.
I would be happy with 350-400rwkw, dont think any more than that would be useful. 
Have not decided on complete setup, but will potentially try to fit g30-770 or g25-660 low mounted with external wastegate. Haven’t   found dyno results on RB engines, so not sure if extra investment will worth it.
I will sort mechanical parts 1st and see whats left in my piggybank. 
planning to start my build thread tonight with upgrade/repair list. Still many things are uncertain 🤨 

Yep, those compression results aren't the best. Could, just be top end related but totally understand your position now. I'd be looking to rebuild too if i was going to fit either of those turbos. Carry on👍