SAU Community

Ticking sound from rear end on R34 Gtr when braking is apply

Recently finished the complete ground up rebuild on my r34 gtr. After driving the car for few kilometers their is a ticking sound from the back of the car, when braking is apply. 

the mechanic suspect my diff is faulty. the sound will only be heard during braking. anybody experience this before. 

cheers 

Jw 

Normally what someone would describe as a "ticking sound from the rear" is more likely to be related to the rear brakes - something like a rock caught between the disc/caliper/guard area, but if a mechanic has looked at it hopefully that is what they checked first.

is there oil in the diff? 

normally a diff problem would be a clunk or whir/whine 

Normally what someone would describe as a "ticking sound from the rear" is more likely to be related to the rear brakes - something like a rock caught between the disc/caliper/guard area, but if a mechanic has looked at it hopefully that is what they checked first.

is there oil in the diff? 

normally a diff problem would be a clunk or whir/whine 

we did check the brakes as the first suspect, I'm using a r35 brake calipers front and rear. after further investigation it seem that the brake is find. the diff is completely dry. the 4wd lights is on right now because of the tps issue using a single throttle body from the cpc performance performance. could this be the problem? I'm getting the light fixed the withe haltech tps attesa adapter module 

Edited by euro_king

when you say the diff is completely dry, you mean on the outside, right? I was asking about internal fluid level, the filler is on the passenger side of the diff, generally half obscured by the exhaust.

when you mention the 4wd error light is on, it is possible the ticking is the attessa pump relay turning on and off if your nitrogen cannister has insufficient pressure; however this should happen reasonably regularly even at idle when not moving, not just when you are braking.

it is pretty much impossible to guess where the issue could be after a brief text description. If you can catch audio of the sound occurring that may help a lot, but frankly if a competent mechanic can't diagnose with the car in front of them it is pretty unlikely anyone can help you over the web.

• Like 1

drilled and using r35 calipers front and rear 

Almost certainly the noise is coming from the rotor face.

Anyone how can afford R35 calipes can afford to hang a GoPro or similar camera on their suspension with the microphone pointed at the brakes. Diagnosis techniques for this kind of thing have been made infinitely more accessible in the last 10 years.

But I would put money on it being the brakes and being a problem.

Almost certainly the noise is coming from the rotor face.

Anyone who can afford R35 calipers can afford to hang a GoPro or similar camera on their suspension with the microphone pointed at the brakes. Diagnosis techniques for this kind of thing have been made infinitely more accessible in the last 10 years.

But I would put money on it being the brakes and being a problem.

Ficksed mah useless speeliing/typing.