SAU Community

RB26 Grout Fill

16 hours ago, cachorro said:

Herman's videos are on youtube on the Motive Video channel and they are worth the watch. I wonder on what grounds Maatouk claims a brace is not necessary. It could be true but as mentioned, where on the bell curve does each individual block sit. Also there could be dozens of combinations of variables. Do you have a link to the facebook post? Curious to read up on it.

Can’t link it but it’s in the GTR owners Australia page, just search posts about block brace. Look for the post with over 100 comments. 
here’s a snippet, but there is a lot of back/fourth between Maatouk, McDonnell and Herman. Great read

E00485A3-AF30-480D-83E8-89E93B7C95D3.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2021 at 1:35 PM, Old man 32 GTR said:

Can’t link it but it’s in the GTR owners Australia page, just search posts about block brace. Look for the post with over 100 comments. 
here’s a snippet, but there is a lot of back/fourth between Maatouk, McDonnell and Herman. Great read

E00485A3-AF30-480D-83E8-89E93B7C95D3.png

I'd agree with Peter in the attached screenshot, track work (not straight line stuff only) puts a lot of pressure on different components.

Do Maatouks have any 2.6l N1 builds that do track work?

• Like 1

I had a normal Prp brace on a 500kw setup with a 9180 on it. 2.8 stroker, little cams blah blah Thrashed the hell out of it - Cracked the block. 

Now I got a N1 block with the fully intergrated Prp steel brace, same 2.8 crank - rods - slugs, massive cams 292s blah blah makes over 1000hp and don't thrash it just give it a hit here and there, things going strong as no dramas at all. 

I reckon it comes down to how you drive it, and cly pressures to be honest, little cams and trying to jam it all in low down in the rev range breaks engines. 

Let em breath, rev, build oil pressure, than dump it all in and it will make the power and last. 

Also the less limiter dump side steps you do the better and I can tell ya now you don't do em with 1000hp but you do em all day with 500kw : D

Thats my experiences anyway  

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 2:58 PM, SimonR32 said:

I'd agree with Peter in the attached screenshot, track work (not straight line stuff only) puts a lot of pressure on different components.

Do Maatouks have any 2.6l N1 builds that do track work?

I’m really not sure, but going off the comments I’d say, probably not, looks like most customers are for drag and/or street duties 

On 18/07/2021 at 8:59 PM, Deano 1 said:

Also the less limiter dump side steps you do the better and I can tell ya now you don't do em with 1000hp but you do em all day with 500kw : D

why do you go between hp and kW, it's so painful lol.. just stick to kW.. this is Australia - we use the metric system.

On 19/07/2021 at 11:44 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

To me 745kW sounds impressive, because you rarely hear anyone say I make 745kW at all fours.

this is true..... it actually made 775kw when we said stop...... 775kw sounds really impressive 🤣

Edited by Deano 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Just chiming in I also have noticed that quite a lot of high power GTR's have run N1 blocks yes  ones everytime I spoke to an owner I noticed they had the N1 block.  Seems that Facebook post oddly was removed, important information it was.

I also remember at a similar time posting a question there which asked -- For every 20 or so high power cars on standard and N1 blocks, how many cracked?.  Immediately Herman PM'd me demanding I stop asking baited questions.  This was so bizarre.  He also advised that he doesn't make any money on the $6-$8k PRP prepped cast blocks and it's such hard, messy and heavy work, and that it's a privilege to have one of them, which was the most bizarre thing i have heard. 

I Sent Herman a R32 block to get tested then 2-3 months got a report back with an early production serial number saying it was a Unicorn Spec 1500hp one, I then got told there was a mix up.  During this time I got advised there is a great block with great test results I can buy if I like.  8 months later of asking where my block is, i got a pallet back with an R33 "61xxx" serial number block returned with a tag "May be this one" with report of a lower spec test results, what a joke. 

I'm going a Billet block I see better value

Edited by RB335
  • Haha 1

On 26/11/2021 at 12:57 AM, RB335 said:

Just chiming in I also have noticed that quite a lot of high power GTR's have run N1 blocks yes  ones everytime I spoke to an owner I noticed they had the N1 block.  Seems that Facebook post oddly was removed, important information it was.

I also remember at a similar time posting a question there which asked -- For every 20 or so high power cars on standard and N1 blocks, how many cracked?.  Immediately Herman PM'd me demanding I stop asking baited questions.  This was so bizarre.  He also advised that he doesn't make any money on the $6-$8k PRP prepped cast blocks and it's such hard, messy and heavy work, and that it's a privilege to have one of them, which was the most bizarre thing i have heard. 

I Sent Herman a R32 block to get tested then 2-3 months got a report back with an early production serial number saying it was a Unicorn Spec 1500hp one, I then got told there was a mix up.  During this time I got advised there is a great block with great test results I can buy if I like.  8 months later of asking where my block is, i got a pallet back with an R33 "61xxx" serial number block returned with a tag "May be this one" with report of a lower spec test results, what a joke. 

I'm going a Billet block I see better value

Seems a bit suss that the block was unicorn spec, then all of a sudden went missing? 

• Confused 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:00 PM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

How do you just lose a block?

Oh, at a place like PRP, where there would be literally many tens of RB blocks lying around, it would be quite possible. The very fact that it would be so easy should mean that there should be the most bulletproof systems in place to maintain the identification of customer property.

But, you have to imagine that with all the cleaning steps and such that would go on they'd inevitably have any "well identified" block completely bare at some stage, Maybe you'd have to have stainless steel tags on wire threaded through water galleries or something so they couldn't come off and wouldn't interfere. But they'd probably still have to come off for machining.

The only way I could see to do it so that it never comes off all through every step at the shop would be to etch or engrave a unique number onto every block, in the same place, from a list maintained by an anally retentive jerk. And even that would be subject to failure. I'm in the middle of a project where more robust systems than that arre failing all over the place.

• Haha 1

On 26/11/2021 at 5:55 PM, r32-25t said:

There is already a unique number in each block, they all have an engine number 

N1’s come blank , was going to put my 05u numbers on , couldn’t be bothered 

On 26/11/21 at 9:18 PM, Shyboy said:

N1’s come blank , was going to put my 05u numbers on , couldn’t be bothered 

Replacements don’t have numbers 05U 24U or billets, factory fitted 24Us or 05Us have numbers