SAU Community

350Z/Z33 diff ratio into R33 R200

R33 gtst and have done the CD00A swap. Ratios not great with 4.11 so bought a manual 350Z R200 diff with 3.5 ratio thinking I can swap the crown and pinion over into my gtst housing (with s15 Torsen/helical gut). All going well and proper (after ‘years’ of research), the internals are not the same - mostly the pinion dimensions.

This post is to spread awareness.. Also looking for pointers if any.. 

From the outside dimensions of the 350Z housing, the front mounts are pretty far off so no idea how that would even bolt into the R33 subframe, even with GKTech off centre solid mounts.

Z33 on left, R33 gtst on right. Notice massive difference in front housing mounts (height) and pinion thickness (far off). Definitely not compatible.... crown fits but obv pointless. Happy customer. 

FCE9F8AA-7AD6-4114-8588-95D9894D8568.jpeg

50021651-A166-467F-A8F9-DF0246BF6C74.jpeg

• Like 2

Neat gearbox's make ratios. 

I have a 350z diff in an r33 frame in an s13 .... haha

The offset front bushes worked a treat. The rear housing ones not so much. 

I think a custom rear cover with two bolts would be the best way, with correct alignment for the r33 style holes. 

Oh and for awareness also, I learned there are at LEAST 2 types of 350z diff housings, given the wide spread of ratio's the offset is different in the front to accomodate different sized pinions. 

Edited by Butters

I have also put a 350 3.5 diff in my 32, with 34 subframe and GKTech offset bushes. I have also found a 2 bolt cover from the states i am waiting to arrive to see if i can use it

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 11:24 PM, Butters said:

Neat gearbox's make ratios. 

I have a 350z diff in an r33 frame in an s13 .... haha

The offset front bushes worked a treat. The rear housing ones not so much. 

I think a custom rear cover with two bolts would be the best way, with correct alignment for the r33 style holes. 

Oh and for awareness also, I learned there are at LEAST 2 types of 350z diff housings, given the wide spread of ratio's the offset is different in the front to accomodate different sized pinions. 

Please check my pics of the two diff housing next to each other. Is your 350z diff the same height on the front two mounts? It seems way out and.. I’ll have a test fit later in the subframe and put some more pics up but from the eyecrometer, looks heaps out

Yes it sits different and adjusts the pinion angle as a result.  Angle still measured up fine though on mine. 

This is not a like for like swap, it is a cheap gktech kit :)   

(Oh and noting the GKTECH r33 subframe into s13 kit actually tells you to bash your chassis with a hammer for clearance ..... WTF !!   We notched the subframe instead. )

I was not happy with axle height drop that was a result of the rear bolt position and yes likely the front also. 

It is all working well though thus far but only limited use. 

image.thumb.png.064ab676430029c420e223cb19e28e76.png

Edited by Butters
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...