SAU Community
  • Welcome to SAU Community

Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

Click here to register

Matvei27

What are people doing for HCR32 suspension these days?

1 hour ago, Matvei27 said:

Which king springs did you have on your modified Bilsteins?

What I have may not be a good recommendation for other RWD R32s. There is something a bit weird about mine and we have GTR springs to get the ride height right. KDFL-116 and KDRL-87SP. The rears there are specifically for the Aust market GTRs.

The dampers have extra grooves cut on them to expand the ride height adjustability range. The valve stack is set up by SK. I'm not sure what he does - but the fronts replaced otherwise identical B6s that I already had on the car, and they were a very noticeable improvement - and I wasn't upset with the original ones!

Now it's a bit warmer...and keeping in mind this is GTR not GTST, I run eibach 0800.250.0450 front and 0800.250.0350 rear. 0800 means 8" long, 250 means 2.5" inner diameter and the 0450/0350 is spring rate in lbs/in, so 6.2kg/mm rear and 8kg/mm front. Anyway, point is, with the circlip groove/threaded sleeve, adjustable platform and that style of springs, you can order anything you want from eibach and end up with exactly the rate and height you are after.

Posted (edited)

The standard b6s don't have the additional circlip grooves though, and are valved differently right?

I believe that would be how you guys are getting more than 30mm of lowering out of b6s, is it not?

Since the car is 390/380 standard to get to 350/340 you'd need 40mm of drop which is beyond what a standard b6 can handle at least according to Bilstein (and beyond what my non adjustable links can handle too, but that's a separate issue)

And as far as I can tell Gary isn't doing the modified ones anymore?

So I could make my own monotube s-tunes with some b6s and springs, but I don't think I could go as low as you guys do with the modified ones even if I changed out my links and used even lower springs. To do that I'd need b8s and but it doesn't look like they have them for the r32.

So I'd have to use coilovers IF I wanted to do that, but as far as I can tell the only monotube in production for the 32 gtst is the tein monoflex, or MCA in aus / meister in the UK?

Edited by Matvei27
Posted (edited)

Looks like the discussion on the B6 may not be relevant, Bilstein just informed me the rears are NLA.

Edited by Matvei27
Posted (edited)

I ended up buying the Ohlins units after calling Labo Carrozzeria and confirming that they will still repair them.

They answered the phone immediately and said as long as they aren't bent from say, being in an accident, they can still overhaul discontinued models. They will replace the pillow uppers with new ones as well. 

Hope that is useful information for someone out there. 

(oh, and if you don't like pillow uppers, they offer rubber ones now too).

Edited by Matvei27
  • Like 1

We ended up chosing to have the shocks rebuilt with rubber uppers, and with softer springs (minus 2kg front and rear). 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Latest Posts

• Been nothing happening for a while as got the sil80 going and been trying to decide what direction to go but have been doing the important things like painting cam cover and making heat shield for the turbo.  Fitted some more lights to the work area in the shed and converted to LEDs. Heaps better with the extra lights.  Pulled out the ecu and loom this week to start planning a new loom with extra sensors and inputs.  Considering going DBW as liking it on the other car. So will have to send ecu back to link for modding.  Car is booked in to get the engine bay and under side blasted end of July so have to get a move on stripping. 
    • Yep - I have had three different EFR's - and still run an 8474.  All have had this casting issue and I didn't like it either.   The Turbo's perform well - but its disappointing to see this lack of quality control - and yes it does make you naturally wonder if there are other problems that you can't see. I think that Borg Warners attitude to "its fine, and doesn't stop it working" is not a good thing.  As others above have said, other manufacturers seem to get their castings nice and tidy and you would expect that the top of their line be well finished.   Maybe BW should have a read of this thread and think about it for Version 2.0.     PS.  I've had 8374 and 8474 back to back on same engine - and I can say that in my experience the 8474 definitely does not spool as quickly as the 8374.   I can say this from dyno charts, seat of the pants feel, logging and track times.   The 8474 does exactly what you would expect:  Spools a bit later (200-300rpm), and makes a bit more power up top.         
    • Will do, thanks.   Do you know from memory which of these two plug (red marker) is for reverse switch ? also what is other one for ?  
    • The 20DET RWD box and the 26/20DET AWD box both have a reverse switch. The reverse switch wiring will definitely be on the diagram. I'm 2000km away from my copy of the manual, so can't easily look for you. Keep looking.
    • Just so people know it's not an isolated incident! This is my brand new compressor cover from a 8374 alloy supercore that I purchased to replace my old turbo which has a slight bearing noise which I put down to oil starvation due to a restrictor put in the line from the Fabricator even though it was clearly stated not to run one with this turbo. Not only did the new cover look like shit the new turbo was overly "tight" from factory and after numerous phone calls and diagnostics with GCG I was told it was fine and to run it... Did a few warm up laps at Wakefield Part and just about melted the cold side piping and cooler due to the turbo issue as it was glowing hot! Took the turbo back to GCG for warranty repairs and had it stripped, assessed and re-assembled with no fault found but now the turbo spins freely and spools down as it should. Car had not been run on a track since that day as I have zero confidence in the setup and I am strongly considering selling the whole hot side and going back to a single gate, single scroll basic setup to remove potential failure points! The turbo was only one of many issues with my cars setup, since the build it has lifted the head, gates have come loose, gate lines/fittings have melted or broken and the thing wont keep oil in the engine! The reason my car hasn't seen the track in nearly 2 years is shonky workmanship in a big $ build and left hanging with an expensive POS that I can't drive for more than a session! I will build it back up again and get it on track soon but I doubt it will be with an EFR still fitted! End of rant..... Actually probably not..... 🤬