SAU Community

Things in gearbox oil.

3 hours ago, AleksandarR33 said:

Wrong.. the ones you just shared are first and second gear,

the ones the topic creator shared are third and fourth gear. 

Oh. My. God.

I have no words....

I'm not going to comment on the right and the wrong of each side of this story as I can't remember WTF my car keys look like let alone the ones hidden in my gearbox but I do have my suspicions on who this mysterious new member is.

Based on my recent experience with an Aussie based transmission parts supplier where a certain member of that business showed complete and utter pig headed arrogance to not back down even when confronted by irrefutable proof that he was wrong, added to the fact that this stoic new member is commenting on transmission and diff posts, I surmise that we are dealing with a Mr Alex (Aleksandar) Kantarovski of Speedtek fame.

I could be wrong but I recognise south eastern European unwavering blockheaded arrogance when I see it!!!  🤣🤣

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, admS15 said:

Buy a speedtek gearset and this problem will be solved but if it's not please seek help elsewhere..

100%!

I'll still back his product if mine doesn't shit itself but he ain't no people person!

18 minutes ago, Shoota_77 said:

100%!

I'll still back his product if mine doesn't shit itself but he ain't no people person!

I was more just trying to beat him to the advertising punch line but am keen to see how yours goes👍

18 minutes ago, admS15 said:

I was more just trying to beat him to the advertising punch line but am keen to see how yours goes👍

Ha ha, all good.  I think he should use your slogan!  I'd have no right to get offended by anyone in all honesty.  I knew the risks and still did it so my head is on the chopping block of public ridicule if anything goes wrong!

10 hours ago, AleksandarR33 said:

You guys should take a good solid look at the photo’s.

Which is :

14 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

This cannot be true, as both pictures are of the same thing.

36 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Samsonas dis dat..

https://samsonas.com/

They are an ok sequential,

however this is about the shift inserts, if you look at the photos carefully they are from the last of the 5 speeds. 

pictured is the 3rd and 4th shift insert keys, 2 are in the pictures uploaded by the topic creator, This needs to be rectified otherwise He will cause more damage in the transmission pretty soon if he does some hard shifting.  

the inserts pictured are superseded and discontinued.

The new keys you can get from Nissan are slightly different to the original found in factory gearboxes and are actually not right. The hump on the top of the superseded part is too large and the slot for the spring underneath is too small so you can’t lock the cir-clip inside it, only behind it.

this is not efficient in hard shifting and can cause the keys to fall out even easier .

try find someone that has the original part number, like you have shown in the photos. I would get new syncros and c clips and also a new shift sleeve whilst you are at it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/06/2021 at 4:54 PM, Ben C34 said:

Maybe you are talking about the order the gears are in the case rather than the ratio of said gears?

Maybe. I dunno mate but I thought I'd shed some more light on this for any future references, and try to cut through the bullshit. I will be even more clear this time....

1st / 2nd gear shift insert:

In all the RB 5 speed gearboxes there is a solid type shifter insert on the 1st / 2nd synchro hub arrangement. There is 3 of them and they are a solid key design, which acts against 2 circular springs - one each side of these solid keys. This is the design on the 1st / 2nd synchro arrangement and never changed on any 5 speed Skyline R32 - R34 from 1989 - 2001 or R32 / R33 GTR box from 1989 - 1998. It looks like this and is the original part number 32609-30P00. 32609-23P00 is the new R33 alternative part number but still same thing.

Both very much still available.

image.thumb.png.5f4e67a64434e1f351f304653bb6db9b.png

image.thumb.png.59b869208d4d4d2937fb6f2daf527f46.png

image.thumb.png.fab3881401f87ea5df3bc7619f95b5e6.png

Original 3rd / 4th shift insert (most common):

Now the 3rd / 4th gear synchro hub arrangement used a different setup that did not use 3 solid shift inserts acting on opposing springs as mentioned above on the 1st / 2nd arrangement. Instead it used 3 spring steel inserts. As they are spring steel they provide the spring tension, and is a bit of a shit design as they are prone to losing their "springiness", fatiguing and breaking. Why Nissan decided on this design compared to the 1st / 2nd gear arrangement is beyond me, but it is the most common 3rd / 4th synchro setup and is all the 32 / 33 GTR / GTS boxes until 1997 when the series 3, 5 speed GTR revision took place. Again, it looks like this and is also still available - part number 32609-70L20.

image.thumb.png.0cf4ec0923cd611d1a04e30656e03aab.png

image.thumb.png.193e22c1db650e1609ef1b4954ffcf35.png

image.thumb.png.d9bcd7705bdb24658cda6885c2397509.png

Revised 3rd / 4th shift insert:

Now obviously Nissan finally decided that the above 3rd / 4th gear shift insert design was infact very shit and changed it. It was revised to be like the design of the 1st / 2nd gear arrangement, in that it went away from the spring steel clip type insert and went to 3 solid key insert with 2 opposing springs - the way it should've been in the first place. This is what is found in the R34 GTT and 97/98 R33 GTR 5 speed transmissions. The bad thing from an upgrade point of view is that everything relating to 3rd and 4th gear was also changed like the selector fork and synchro hub coupling, etc. Part number 32609-70L15, superseded by 32609-AA510 and both very much still available. 

image.thumb.png.61dbafe82018e847bd0f671132db9870.png

image.thumb.png.f4650e6e6067840e63fa879c437e3437.png

image.thumb.png.1e71adf2529d20a91eec2ec81606b349.png

Looks the same to the original 1st / 2nd insert doesn't it ? - it's not.

Now if only you've got a keen eye you'll see the raised hump section is different. On the 1st / 2nd one it is substantially shorter in the middle than the much larger / longer revised 3rd / 4th insert. The overhead shots show the clear difference in the raised edge. Again, compare:

1st / 2nd insert

image.thumb.png.5f4e67a64434e1f351f304653bb6db9b.png

Revised 3rd / 4th insert

image.thumb.png.61dbafe82018e847bd0f671132db9870.png

Now look at the opening dyl33 pics which has the much shorter raised centre section:

image.png.6738d085cead02aac09aa22a40746022.png

Hence why I said originally from the 1st / 2nd assembly, as most Skyline boxes out there will still be running the spring clip 3rd / 4th inserts unless you a have an R34 GTT,  97/98 series 3 R33 GTR, a recently brand new complete 5 speed transmission or done a gearset upgrade as they all use the new 3rd / 4th synchro design.

Hopefully this clarifies the differences with some pics showing a clear way to easily identify internally the early and late transmissions when disassembled.

• Like 8

On 08/07/2021 at 11:27 AM, GTSBoy said:

BK,

You should copy most of your post out to a new thread with a clear title to serve as a searchable guide to these synchro inserts.

Yeah ok. I also have handy the complete parts list to convert from early to late, which is needed for synchro gearset upgrades like OS giken, PPG, PAR etc. or just turning your old box into a updated series 3 box.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2021 at 7:46 PM, ACTIVE-LSD said:

excellent post BK. will definitely help those seeking clarification.

was late model R33 97 - 98 also part of this revision?

That's the thing that complicates it even more, as the updates don't seem to correspond with the series change. For example, the update definitely occurred on the R33 GTR on the 12/1997 according to Nissan, but the R33 GTR series 3 came out on 02/1997 - meaning there are lots of R33 series 3 GTR without the update.

For the ECR33 GTS25T Skylines I can't say I've ever seen one with the synchro update. I've worked on less RWD boxes than GTR boxes to be able to compare but I will say all the R33 turbo boxes I've seen inside have had the spring steel 3rd / 4th insert. Nissan fast doesn't seem to indicate that the ECR33 RB25 turbo box ever had the update, and indicates that it happened on the R34 GTT from 05/1998, so I would say probably not.