SAU Community

Skyline R34 Non- Turbo

Hey guys, I'm new round here.

I'm thinking about buying a car in about 3-6 months these are my options from the research I've done. (20-25K budget and I'm on red P's)

1. A non turbo Skyline. From what I've heard it's not a good idea to turbo it later on. But maybe I can reuse the parts if I get a GTT later on and just swap them in. My concern is also resale value, which r34's seem to be holding on.

2. WRX. Non performance. I don't know how good these will be performance wise but they seem the most liveable. 

3. The safest and cheapest option I have is an 86 or BRZ. Probs won't turbo, but I can mod it I guess. Only issue is don't think it's a great car long term and resale is kinda trash from what I've seen.

I'm leaning towards the r34, but if anyone has suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

There's nothing a R34 does better than an 86.

Nothing.

A R34 N/A is not a performance car. It's closer to a Hyundai Tiburon if anything. A R34 Manual GTT in stock form (I.e out of the price range anyhow) is about the same performance in a straight line as an 86 anyway lol.

Also there's plenty reasons why P platers love hot hatches too, as an alternative.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

I would say forget the Skyline, get the 86. 86/BRZ being the more modern car will be the nicest to drive, so that would probably be my pick. Plus less police attention, decent aftermarket options, etc. 

Yeah, I'll have to agree on the aftermarket on the 86. Thanks for the input!

56 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

Also there's plenty reasons why P platers love hot hatches too, as an alternative.

I've looked at something like a Golf GTI or R as an option, with 4 seats and all. 86 does sound like a better idea though.

17 minutes ago, tomaytown said:

I've looked at something like a Golf GTI or R as an option, with 4 seats and all. 86 does sound like a better idea though.

I would take a Golf R, faster better, much more comfortable & safer.

Flash, dump pipe, better intercooler, better intake and you'll toast most turbo charged 86 shit boxes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Flash, dump pipe, better intercooler, better intake and you'll toast most turbo charged 86 shit boxes.

Sounds like a plan. The R does look quite nice and 4 doors...

Does the turbo go stututu though

Golf R great choice as well, impress your mates and ya mum at the same time!

Seriously though, those little VW's are pretty quick. Between the 86 and the Golf, you've literally just described almost half the regular field in our local time attack series haha. None of them are anywhere close to winning, but they're giving it a red hot crack 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always think Lancer Ralliarts are the biggest unknown sleeper. Same drivetrain as the Evo X, with slightly slimmer bodykit. Same potential. 

Look pretty shit though.

That said, also cheap. Unsure if P platers can drive them but if they can, then oh boy there's potential there too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Unzipped Composites said:

Golf R great choice as well, impress your mates and ya mum at the same time

Seriously though, those little VW's are pretty quick. Between the 86 and the Golf, you've literally just described almost half the regular field in our local time attack series haha. None of them are anywhere close to winning, but they're giving it a red hot crack 😅

Yeah Golf R is probably on the table if I get one for a good price. As long as they sound good I'm not too fussed about speed especially on the P's.

3 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

I always think Lancer Ralliarts are the biggest unknown sleeper. Same drivetrain as the Evo X, with slightly slimmer bodykit. Same potential. 

I was looking at one this morning! Price range is definitely a big pro but yeah, they look worse than my 2006 corolla hatch hehe

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomaytown said:

I was looking at one this morning! Price range is definitely a big pro but yeah, they look worse than my 2006 corolla hatch hehe

However, they are legal (as are the sedans) and the Evo X platform is going to run rings around any hot hatch, especially if you go modding. The sedans just look like a lancer instead of a WTF is that hatch going on.

Yes yes, mods are also not really legal but there's plenty of uh, invisible mods that go on that evo motor.

7 minutes ago, Kinkstaah said:

However, they are legal (as are the sedans) and the Evo X platform is going to run rings around any hot hatch, especially if you go modding. The sedans just look like a lancer instead of a WTF is that hatch going on.

The sedans don't look so bad....might get some cop attention but it seems like a good choice too...thanks for adding another option now I'm confused aha