SAU Community

Nissan Consult Hicas Access

Hello
I wish to have any advice on how to access the Hicas ECU of R32 GT-R.
I successfully initialized the Engine ECU by sending 0xff 0xff 0xef and then I can read engine parts live data. But I fail to initialize the Hicas ECU. While I try to send 0xff 0xff 0xe4 as the Hicas initialization command which I belive, no response is received from ECU. I try to send 0xff 0xff 0xe4 even twice with no success. The response from the ECU is actually observed as 0x00, 0x00, and nothing after that. Since I think that the initialization command is correct, I have no idea in terms of accessing the Hicas ECU. In the event that the Hicas ECU is successfully initialized, therefore, your advice is highly appreciated. Thank you.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:29 AM, r32gtrjp said:

You are fourtune. I cannot afford to buy a commercial one.

Who owns one? Not me. My friendly neighbourhood workshop does. Helps that it's my brother-in-law's workshop. But, any decent general automotive workshop needs to have an all-rand capable scan tool to do anything with modern cars. If a workshop doesn't have one, they just can't fix vehicle electronic problems these days.

Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate on your project in whole? I mean what sort of setup are you aiming for.

I would love to have some way of getting Arduino to talk via Consult and then display different parameters on a small display, without having to always pull out a laptop to check something small.

On the topic; I am way out of my league here, but could it be that you first need to (or especially DON'T) initialize the ECU connection and then sort of "switch" to HICAS side?

If I recall correctly, the Nissan DataScan SW has the ECU and HICAS very separate, meaning that you cannot just switch from one to another on the fly, but you need to reconnect to talk to HICAS.

Also, have you asked Matt at Nistune forum?

Hi,
I initiate my project when I wish to monitor the engine live data on a handy manner three month ago. I trust that Arduino is a fit to my objective. I currently monitor namely, vss, rpm, coolant temp, battery,  btdc, inj. time, throttle, O2, AAC, MAF, A/F, A/Fself, DTC up to 13 data due to 20x4 LCD size restriction. I have also developed two separate Arduino programs designated to the idle adjustment (in which the AAC valve enables to be off by Consult. It is cool rather than the manner to take the connector off physically) as well as the fault code.
The project is done.

My main system is to utilize Arduino with LCD as the following system diagram.
Consult 14 pin connector <-> Inhouse I/F adapter (like the commercial product Nissan-14) <-> Arduino with LCD. An alternative one is Consult 14 pin connector <-> Inhouse I/F adapter <-> USB-TTL adapter(CH340) <-> free software like ecuTalk or Conzult in Windows10. I use Python partially to check status of serial data transmission (Tx,Rx), which is much easier to deal with than Arduino. I have no plan to develop a system based on Python. While Pyhton does not matter os, I use Ubuntu mainly.

The other day I browse the R32 service manual, I come across the Hicas diagnostic test. I wish to simulate the test conducted by Consult so as to watch the rear wheel turning actually.
This is a present stage to struggle the initialization. 

I agree with you as well that both ECU need to be initialized. Because the Hicas ECU (wire #5? in trunk) connects to the engine ECU (passenger side) and it finally goes to Consult 14 pin outlet. The engine ECU is initialized first and then followed by the Hicas ECU. I think that both ECU should be on a standby condition concurrently.
Once the Hicas ECU is initialized, no any other significant issues on the following events would remain.

No. I have no idea on Nistune, etc at all.

That's all.  How comes in this morning trial?

I can connect to and talk to my HICAS CU with a diagnostics handset, but I cannot see the wheels turn, because all the HICAS hardware has been removed from my car and thrown in the bin, like it should be on all R chassis cars.

It's not a pity at all. HICAS is a liability and interferes with vehicle stabiilty at the limit. It was only created to make the car feel more willing to turn in when driving at <7/10ths. Try to drive the car properly hard and HICAS fights the driver's inputs. Better neutralised than kept.

30 years later, the computers running 4WS systems are better. Back then, they sucked. Too simplistic.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All

The issue seems to be resolved. Now I would like to conclude the topic. 

I have successfully identified the Hicas ECU number.

All information related to Hicas is correctly described in the PLMS Consult protocol. A clue for solution is to revisit the implicit assumption imposed.

Thank you for your supports.

Good bye

• Like 1