SAU Community

R34 Aftermarket Windshield Molding

Have any of you with an R34 that have had your windshields out for paint or for replacement found a better molding than the OEM unit for the perimeter of the wind screen? The OEM molding leaves quite a substantial step up from the glass surface to the surrounding body. I was hoping there was something that provided a little more smooth transition.

As I'm not a fluid dynamics engineer, and I have zero hours of experience with R34s in a wind tunnel, I'm just imagining there's room for improvement because of the ~6mm recess. And I'd feel a little silly if OEM was the only answer as I just placed a large order through Amayama and would have to have a SEPARATE shipping fee where it could have been free had I remembered to order it 6 days ago when the other order was placed.

I have never heard of an aftermarket windscreen moulding for any car that wasn't an old chrome bumper classic for which there was a market for restoration parts that are NLA from the OEM.

I am a fluid dynamics engineer, and I would advise you to not worry about it. There are so many other things to worry about first!

To your initial statement, I've seen many bulk moldings with varying dimensions that come in a roll, so don't have any pre-formed corners like OEM. Given the substantial step, it would likely have to be a fairly unique cross-section, but perhaps not.

To your second point, sounds good. I'll order an OEM one.

If you submit another order through Amayama, send a message asking them to link your orders so that everything gets sent to you in a single delivery. I've done this once before with them to avoid paying 2x shipping.